differential help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattmay

Reaction score
i have to rebuild my 8.5 chevy 10-bolt differential thats in my 1992 truck . i need a list for very thing to do it. some good info on how. please

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
#1 on the list - someone with lots of experience setting up 10 bolts. Because it's not an easy DIY job for a first-timer. Honestly.

Richard

mattmay

Reaction score
yeah do think a machine shop will do the work ? by the time buy all tools needed. i have $280 in just tools. will a 1998 8.5 chevy 10-bolt rebuild differential bolt up? the 1998 it out of a half ton is good i saved for some reason. i guess to put under my 1992 half ton a year later ?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, no reason the 1998 rear won't work in your 1992.

And don't get me wrong, anybody mechanically inclined can build that 10 bolt - but getting it right is a bit of an art form.

Richard

mattmay

Reaction score
how do i upgrade to 14 bolt 10.5 and keep the same lug pattern?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Get lucky and score one from a 454SS; bear in mind they're kind of uncommon.

Or, use a 6 lug 14 bolt from a C2500LD and either redrill the axles (or buy custom ones) and redrill the drums.

Or, say F it and convert your front rotors to 6 lug as well so you're 6 lug all around. Bear in mind not all modern 6 lug wheels fit the large old style hubs due to the center bore size and depth.

Richard

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just rebuilt my rear differential. Im a mechanically inclined guy but im glad I had professional help with it (family member is a mechanic). As has been said, theres a feel to it that only comes with having done it a million times. They all need shimmed differently. Somehow they've been making these axles for a hundred years and they cant make each one even relatively close to the same specs. Go figure.