Differential Covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
What are some good differential covers out there? I'm trying to shop around, I'd like something different under there.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
What are you going for? Looks, capacity, strength, cooling?

All depends on what your thinking. I've seen tons of stock covers painted with a design, stripes or a sticker on them that look nice. Otherwise there are a good deal of finned aluminum, machined aluminum, even polycarbonite clear ones.

I've always went simple with mine. The original 14FF and Dana 44 covers are considerably thicker than the 10b and 14SF ones. I just do a clean black with stainless hardware. Subtle but helps bring out that somethings different (moreso in my case being 8-lug and SAS)
You must be registered for see images attach

I really think on your truck, white with black hardware would look right at home.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The differential covers on your 88' look great Dave! The SS hardware are a nice touch, and subtle but it pulls it together nicely!

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
That does look great....hmm, white stock covers with black hardware would look pretty cool, why Haven't I thought of that? I guess I wouldn't need new covers, just wanting a different look, and sure, more durability and cooling would be nice, but hey, these have came this far and not gave a single problem.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That does look great....hmm, white stock covers with black hardware would look pretty cool, why Haven't I thought of that? I guess I wouldn't need new covers, just wanting a different look, and sure, more durability and cooling would be nice, but hey, these have came this far and not gave a single problem.

I say go for it Tyler! The finned aluminum covers run $150+ so you don't have anything to loose by painting yours and picking up some new hardware to re-install it! And the white would be a nice touch on your truck IMO! :cheers:

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Exactly. IMO the only reason to upgrade the cover itself is if your looking to increase the capacity or cool it for towing or get a stronger cover if it's at risk of bashing it in.

You could easily paint and re-use your stock bolts; they are shouldered and act as a locking bolt. If you change the hardware be sure to get lock washers for them.

Other hardware options are a Hex head socket bolt, or install studs with nuts (this method makes gasket and cover install a breeze, but cleaning the surface harder).

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
BTF

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
What are you going for? Looks, capacity, strength, cooling?

All depends on what your thinking. I've seen tons of stock covers painted with a design, stripes or a sticker on them that look nice. Otherwise there are a good deal of finned aluminum, machined aluminum, even polycarbonite clear ones.

I've always went simple with mine. The original 14FF and Dana 44 covers are considerably thicker than the 10b and 14SF ones. I just do a clean black with stainless hardware. Subtle but helps bring out that somethings different (moreso in my case being 8-lug and SAS)

I really think on your truck, white with black hardware would look right at home.

Love that look!

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
I am not a fan of painted up differential covers what so ever... keep it black with new hardware, buy a aftermarket one for cooling, strength, etc (no cheap chrome bs either) or just leave it alone... anything else looks cheap and kinda ricer to me