Diesel vs gas NV4500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beeffajitas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many differences there are between the two? I might be at a point where I need to do something about the 4L80E in my truck and I've always wanted a stick truck. Finding a gas NV4500 is almost impossible around here. I found a few diesels on car-part, but I have no idea the differences.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many differences there are between the two? I might be at a point where I need to do something about the 4L80E in my truck and I've always wanted a stick truck. Finding a gas NV4500 is almost impossible around here. I found a few diesels on car-part, but I have no idea the differences.
find one from a chevy and itll work fine. heres some good info from probably the most knowledgeable nv4500 guy here about the differences in years. (dodge nv4500s wont work)

"The difference between the MT8 (92-94) and MW3 (95+) GM NV4500 is the external VS internal slave cylinder, bottleneck vs bolt on shifter, and gear ratios. Both have the same locking nut and possible 5th gear problems. Of note, 95 is an oddball year, higher ratio gearing with external slave cylinder and bolt on top cover... 95 is just a weird year overall.

Now, a large difference with GM vs Dodge is the placement of the 5th gear nut. GM uses two sets of press splines on the back, one for the 5th gear and a second one for a harmonic damper, then the nut is installed. The harmonic damper was used early on, mostly in 6.5L applications but it's indicated in the GM EPC that they were also installed on 5.7L and 7.4L trucks. Later on the dampers weren't used and there was a steel sleeve installed between the 5th gear and the nut, over the splines. Dodge did not have a damper or spacer.

RPO MT8 was used in 92-94. All the MT8 transmission have the lower gear ratios (6.34:1 first). The gear ratios changed in 95 when they started sharing the case/bellhousing pattern as dodge (5.61:1 first). And yes, in 97 reverse changed to the higher gearing as well.

Forward gears were synchronized in all NV4500 transmissions. Many people think that 1st is not synchronized in the early transmissions (92-94) due to the the lock-out feature. 1-2 has a fly-weighted synchro assembly that prevents downshifting into 1st while moving at just about any speed.

Reverse was not synchronized until 99." -88gmctruck

Last edited:

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Oops, when I say diesel, I mean the GM 6.5L, not the dodge stuff.
theyre the same trans. from what i understand there are 4 variations, and my above post explains the differences. any of them will bolt up and work fine on either a gas or a diesel.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went the other way. I loved the nv4500 but going up a steep hill the 1-2-3 gear spacing is horrible. Same hill with the 4l80e I fly right up. Pay close attention to pedal assemblies. If that pivot point is messed up. It'll mess up all kinds of parts and make a really hard shift Good luck