Diagnosing Ignition Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howdy guys, I have a question regarding ignition parts because I can never really find this info anywhere. My question is how do you test, preferably with a multimeter, an external electronic spark control module (ESC). Im mostly curious because I have an intermittent timing issue at times and the only part that isnt brand new in my ignition system is the ESC. Whenever I try searching about the ESC most stuff comes back to the ICM instead inside the distrubutor. Ive seen others ask on other forums but never have seen a straight answer. Thanks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Download the service manual set for your vehicle from the links in the Sticky thread section of the Engine forum. Depending on the year of the vehicle, you may be specifically looking for the Emissions manual.

Wild Guess with no evidence: You're not going to diagnose the ESC module with a multimeter alone. You're gonna need a scan tool in addition.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unplug it. Your ignition will run without it. See if your intermittent timing issue goes away.

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Download the service manual set for your vehicle from the links in the Sticky thread section of the Engine forum. Depending on the year of the vehicle, you may be specifically looking for the Emissions manual.

Wild Guess with no evidence: You're not going to diagnose the ESC module with a multimeter alone. You're gonna need a scan tool in addition.
I found the diagnostic troubleshooting page online but it doesnt really give a clear way of testing, thats why Im asking

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unplug it. Your ignition will run without it. See if your intermittent timing issue goes away.
Will it go to max timing retard as a sort of "limp mode" since the ECM wouldnt get any feedback from the knock sensor?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know which way the timing will go, I just know it'll run fixed timing. I ran WCJr for about a year without the ESC until I finally swapped to a Holley Sniper distributor.