Depression

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USAF_Slacker

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i feel the same. but i know it cant be an over night thing. some projects just take a few years and you have to put prioritys first. i have an account as well i just throw extra money after bills get paid and we put whatever in savings. my main problem is time. past two times i have taken leave, something would happen and i had to deal with that before i could mess with my truck. and the other thing is it is my dd and i cant tear apart the front end on a weekend knowing that i might not get it back together before sunday night(mid shift). just takes time.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My truck doesn't cause me to be depressed, but it is a love/hate relationship.
Rebuilt the whole front end of my truck. Upper, lower ball joints, tie rod inners & outers, idler, pitman, steering box plus all new urethane bushings. Felt good. Plan a road trip. Serviced the tranny & installed new universals.
While me & buddy are doing this, he says "How many miles on that rear end?" I said "Leave it alone!" Get all that work done & as I'm pulling out of the shop, I said to buddy, joking, "Watch this, just my luck that & rear end will implode in a week!" He says "Don't say **** like that." It was actually 10 days before it did!
So...that rear end rebuild turns into a complete rear suspension re-design. Completely re-do the frame notch, notch the box cross member, re-locate the shocks & a new fuel pump while the box was off. Wanted to do a disc brake conversion, but by this time I'm spending, spending, spending on this truck, so that was put on hold for a month or so.
Go back to work, make enough cash to do the brakes. Two days before it was to go into the shop for the brakes, & my dog splits a toe nail really badly while running on the rocks down by the river. That bandage on his foot is worth my rear disc brakes.
Three days later, intake gaskets go south, on a 225,000 mile motor. Ain't worth fixing. Decision is made to do an LS swap.
Aaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!
But I don't let this get me down. If I did I be a babbling idiot! I consider all this to be learning experiences. But I'm tellin' ya, there are moments that I really consider selling this thing & buying a new, stock, unmolested truck. Then I give my head a shake. Can't do it. Too much blood, sweat, tears, cash, time, pizza, beer, late nights, & financial sacrifices, invested in this truck, just to sell it someone that doesn't realize what it takes to get the truck to the point where it is now. And each stage that it goes through makes me appreciate it, the driving experience, & the positive comments, all that much more. Every time it breaks, (well, everytime 'I' break it!) it ends up getting better, & one more step closer to the goals that I have for it. Actually working on my truck keeps me from getting depressed. Sitting in front of the TV, thinking about how much it's cost to get the truck where it is, now, is the worst thing to do. Getting out in the shop, & working on the next improvement, no matter how small or large, is my best therapy.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I remember when mine was stock height I knew I'd do anything to get it lifted. I worked a $10/hr landscape job and did 10 yards of my own on the side so the side $ ALL went for the truck and in one summer I had all the major things done. I was a man on a mission and NOTHING was going to stop me. It's one thing if you're the type of guy (and I know plenty of these guys) they buy a truck that is hardly running in the first place and then go around telling everyone they're going to make it into a rocket ship and tour space with it when in reality you just have to knod and say cool because you know they'll just dog the piss out of it till it breaks down and winds up in their backyard with the rest of their HUGE project vehicles that were supposed to be amazing. Basically, I was never the type to tell ppl all these huge plans I just went after it and got it done. If ya want it bad enough you can find a way to make it happen without putting a damper on your family and what not, but also I was young as hell when I lifted mine and did not have to deal with a lot of bills and things but I accumulated a ton of $ making peanuts as well....Now that it is lifted I really do appreciate a nice clean stock truck but no way I'd take mine back down. Makes me wanna buy another one. Anyway, don't get depressed you need to find motivation and find a way to do whatever it is you want and always take it 1 step at a time. I've noticed a lot of guys make these impossible plans and it's impossible to even focus on 1 thing at a time. First adjust the ride height or the wheels, then a motor, or paint...They're all big expensive things so just take it 1 step at a time and don't expect it to happen overnight mine has taken a decade and is still not near finished but it never will be.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
So true. I know of several vehicles around here, that have been sitting for decades.
A '68 RS/SS 396/375hp drop top 4spd Camaro. In a guy's backyard. No cover, no top. 20(+) years sitting there.
A '40 Ford P/U, in a field up to it's axles in dirt. I've known of that one since '88.
A '51 Henry J. Sideways in a carport. Been there since at least '75. With 36 years, or more, of stuff piled on top.
My buddy's '69 WS6 Formula 400 Firebird. Restored at one time. Broken pushrod. Sitting since '81.

None for sale. They will be restored 'one day'.
Yea, sure. O.K.
THAT'S depressing!

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn right I hate ppl that are all talk or think just because they OWN it means it's something special :nono: It's like a disease.

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The hardest thing i have noticed is to keep interest in a project. I dont have that issue with my truck but with other cars and trucks ive had its been a big issue of mine.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We bought our 89 stepside in late 07 or early 08. We dropped in a 5.7 vortec when the tbi engine died in late 08 and we started building a 383 stroker around feb of 09. All of that stopped in april of 09 when we found out that we were expecting our first child. We signed the paperwork to for home loan pre approval and then drove straight to the hospital to have Casey (our son). We bought the house in april of 10 and have done some major work around the outside including replacing the entire septic system after I crushed ours with a Case 580... So now November has rolled around and due to being shorthanded at work I'm working 40-60 hours of overtime every 2 weeks. I don't have the time for anything except my family but i do have cash. So my current mode is to spend, spend and spend. All of our bills are paid the only payment we have left is on the wife's car and the house. Yeah it sucked looking at the truck for so long! Depressing everytime I wanted to do something to it and I couldn't. Now I know that I have 6 days of vacation left to burn and I will have the parts to finish the engine and build the rear end! I'm like a giddy school girl right now...

blackshirts

Reaction score
hey OBS if you want too lift your truck you can get a 2'' lift for a 150 bucks, btw i have the exact same truck as you ima post a video on here later this week of it maybe you'll like some of the things ive done :p
btw sewlow you should write poetry after that comment :p

Last edited: