Delphi Electronic Variable Orifice (EVO) - Slicksheet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was rummaging through some old computer files and I found this Delphi Electronic Variable Orifice ("EVO") 2-page slicksheet with copyright date 2005.

I thought someone here may find it interesting, since many GMT400s were equipped with EVO.

(edit) I also found an interesting explanation of power steering system function; it was described in a patent for fluid flow control (attached). It's interesting reading.

Judging from the dates, I archived these around 2009.

Attachments

• str_evo.pdf
    105.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Fluid flow control for power steering patent 4691797.pdf
    886.8 KB · Views: 15

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So reduced operating temperature, I wonder if that's why they were so stingy with the coolers in the later trucks?

That's a good observation. My 1998 Suburban had EVO and *no* cooler, so that jibes.

I've since removed the EVO valve, and installed the tube-and-fin cooler that GM used on other GMT400s.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So reduced operating temperature, I wonder if that's why they were so stingy with the coolers in the later trucks?

I didn't read the pdfs, as I'm on my phone...
You're saying hydroboost reduces the temps? If so, that's not what I would have thought given the fluid is doing more work.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I never would have guessed that. I assumed higher pressure.

Only in a parking lot. Once moving it's less. Less assist anyway. I always thought of it a little differently, like you're backing up the pump and not allowing it to flow. Unless it's cracking open a bypass instead. I also always thought it was on or off, but sounds like the thing has a duty cycle.