Deleting cats... Can O2 sensors be fooled?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will my truck run bad with the O2s not in, or will I just have the light? Because I have the light always anyways because I have a different PCM in mine anyways.

All you need for the truck to run is the front two in the manifolds. The rear ones are only to monitor converter efficiency an have zero effect on how the engine runs or it's fuel mileage. Mine have been gone since I got my truck an like I said before the lift/tires it got 16 mpg an ran perfectly fine...

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Never "Ass U ME"........lol I have seen plenty of them and installed and removed plenty of them in my lifetime.. getting ready to install a 3" high flow flowmaster one on my rig tomorrow actually along with a new muffler.. If you wanna hear your exhaust that's fine, I like to hear mine to, I think we all do, its a curse....lol.... But in the end do what you personally like. After all its your rig, your time, your money..... And Yes a cat can and does change the sound of most all systems.

From my experiences and research...
A Y-pipe does not have the same effect of a proper h-pipe/cross over pipe or x-pipe. With a y-pipe both banks will hit at the y. If one compression stroke is stronger then the other it will push its way through bottle necking the other adjacent firing cylinder. i.e. incomplete burn and or not running as efficient and strong as it could..

An h-pipe or cross over pipe or even better an x-pipe, in a duel exhaust set up will allow it to fully expel the gasses from both banks in a more efficient even manor. Letting all the gasses out of the cylinder on each stroke/compression faster and more evenly, with out pushing one back or putting one partly on hold if you will, will allow a faster cleaner burn to continue on each firing of the cylinder.

This is of course only comparable and valid comparison with each systems having the same pipe size as each other. Pipe size will play a major role in the way that each style will perform.

Not a challenge but...but this is how i think/work.. If I am wrong show me that I am wrong, and show me the correct way or proven info so that I may learn the correct or right way.. I am always willing to admit when I wrong with no issue. My info comes from working on many types of vehicles for the last 20 or so years. OK now I feel old...thanks.....lol Not professionally mind you...lol

Sorry Airman didn't mean to steel your thread....

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. But exhaust size has a lot to do with it. I also never said a Y pipe was better then an H or X, I just said that it would have the same effect given that the proper sizing is used.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Some pics to explain...

This is where my "Y Pipe" comes down from the manifolds and the first o2 sensor is in front of the cats.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is behind the furthest one of the cats (they are staggered, one slightly further back so they will fit)

Which is then ran into this scabbed together H pipe

Right before these two ty 22" glasspacks

And in this picture you can see the exhaust I wanna put onto it, which I have about 7.5ft of straight 3" pipe with a MAGNAFLOW, not Flowmaster (thats my bad guys) and then the hump up over the rear end, and it was a drivers side exit but will probably just do a dump or cut, and flip it to the passenger side.

MY PLAN is to Y it together infront of where the cats are now, (so where the exhaust comes down from the manifolds, and both curve back to the rear) with a 2.5" inlet to 3" outlet collector, and then run the 3" back and do something with the dump or side exit behind the pass wheel.

Yes, no? Opinions?

And if I can do it then, I will just ziptie the O2s up out of the way. There is no emissions in Alaska. And I will be completely redoing my exhaust probably next spring/summer.