decisions decisions.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tharry91

Reaction score
So I am finally able to start putting more money into my truck and looking for input on some things. Its a 98 K1500 Z71 with the 5.7, motor is fairly new with about 70k on it, has true duals with flow masters, rear end is rebuilt. Just looking to build it up to be more fun and be able to get it going down the highway.

headers: long tubes are optimal from what I have heard but they are also a few hundred more than Shorty's. Is the money worth the extra HP?
Tune: I'm set on either wait4me or black bear from what I've read, anything I should look for in particular? Also I've read something about a 0411 pcm upgrade or something?
cam: I have really not much of a clue when it comes to cams, are they worth the money and work? What should I look for?

Also I've been looking into electric fans but they say if you tow they aren't recommended, any input on this?

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I dunno that much about the vortec's but changing your gear ratio will make a huge difference you will feel.
Clutch fans are better for towing because they are more reliable and constantly flow air harder than an e-fan in my opinion. I run a single 16" e fan that flows 3600cfm. It works really well but I don't do much towing with my lift and all.

1994GMCSierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
cams are a simple install for lower end power and sound. I have installed quite a few on several different cars. Get the stock specs on you engine as far as lift and duration. You may wanna go with something close to stock unless your going to do heads as well with new lifters and springs. As always when doing a cam replace the lifters. Its a simple install IMHO.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
cams are a simple install for lower end power and sound. I have installed quite a few on several different cars. Get the stock specs on you engine as far as lift and duration. You may wanna go with something close to stock unless your going to do heads as well with new lifters and springs. As always when doing a cam replace the lifters. Its a simple install IMHO.
If your cam swapping for sound don't do it

Tharry91

Reaction score
I dont pull on a regular basis and when I do its just a quad trailer and occasional race car. Cam is definitely not for sound, lol never thought of it for the sound. Just looking to have a quicker truck that is more fun to drive.