Dash swap questions. 96-98

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryCCR

OnlyBodyStyle enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi. I have a '96 1500 ecsb step-side. On the dash it has little cracks forming by the bolt holes. I like to pretend it's okay but it bugs me.

I found a good deal on a non-cracked 97 dash. I plan on swappping in place. Light grey as well.

I've swapped dashed on a '91 scsb, I assume it will be close but not exactly the same procedure. I did find the write-up.

My question is what can I do while it's out to help in the long run. Like how to keep it from cracking again, I know it will but how long can I keep it un-cracked. Should I buy those $20 reinforcements? My a/c blend door is not working properly so I guess it's a good time to address that. Is there anything else I need to change/insulate/wrap/or bind/unbind that would be beneficial over time?

Any thoughts, prayers or suggestions are welcome.

An after-thought. I saw a scsb on CL with a black interior and it looked really REALLY nice with leather seats. I considered doing a color change but with the extended cab it seems like way to much trouble. I'm fine with light grey. For that year it's my favourite colour.

Soon, I'm putting in some black housing projectors and HIDs, I have the gmt800 mc ready to go in. I also plan on putting in the transgo shift improver kit, rebuilding the front end, bushings, I reed to do the front brakes and planning on the 1 ton calipers, alignment, fix the fuel gauge, fix the power locks. Tint the doors, It's a work in progress. It's my daily driver. 5.3l stock except valve-train and a 4l60e. Truck has now 80k.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I'm also interested, my dash is junk and I'll be replacing in the spring probably.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When swapping from the 95-96 dash to the 97-98 dash, be absolutely sure to bring along the black plastic ductwork from the donor truck. It's just different enough to hose you. Also be sure to get the bracket to the firewall for the passenger airbag (or cubby hole if getting the dash from a 2500-3500.)

Richard

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My question is what can I do while it's out to help in the long run. Like how to keep it from cracking again, I know it will but how long can I keep it un-cracked. Should I buy those $20 reinforcements?

]

I bought those clips from LMC when I swapped my 98 dash a few years ago. Knock on wood, but still no cracks. I'm not sure if the clips help or not, but I didn't want to take any chances.

Here's a link, maybe it will help...

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/showthread.php?521791-1995-1998-Dashboard-replacement

GaryCCR

OnlyBodyStyle enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Also, thanks someotherguy I didn't know they were different, but I'll be sure to get all of it. Are the harnesses the same or do i have to reuse the 96 harness.

The guy I'm getting it from has assured me it will be complete. With all the wiring, cluster, controls, bezel, etc.

I got a nice leather wrapped 04 steering wheel, and a single plug savanna airbag. I'm going to try to put it in.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
ehhh, the harness between 96-97 shouldn't be significantly different other than passenger airbag if it's coming from a 1500.

Richard

GaryCCR

OnlyBodyStyle enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess I'll be re-using my 96 harness.

I have a nice leather '04 wheel. I plan to take the center spline section out of an older wheel and weld it in to the '04 wheel. I think it would be nice. Has anyone tried it. If I proceed, I'll make a separate thread.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Thanks. I guess I'll be re-using my 96 harness.

I have a nice leather '04 wheel. I plan to take the center spline section out of an older wheel and weld it in to the '04 wheel. I think it would be nice. Has anyone tried it. If I proceed, I'll make a separate thread.
The steeringwheels are magnesium, so I dont think welding that up is a good idea.

There are some who've swapped steeringwheels to the newer models, the safest way is to get the upper shaft out of the steering column and swap it so the wheel bolts up properly.