Danger, high voltage.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glikegerardo

Reaction score
1992 k2500 4X4 pickup 5.7l

This morning when I turned my key, there was barely enough power to make the familiar buzzing sound which tells me I am about to enjoy another ride in my favorite vehicle. Immediately I began to wonder what new part I was about to purchase. I reached for my handy jump box and at first there was a slight struggle, then this trusty beast returned to life for another day of work.

After the idle came down I noticed a whining sound coming from the engine. As I gassed out of the parking space, the battery light illuminated in the dash cluster. At a stand still it immediately shut off, but once I began caressing the gas pedal to move onward, a sternly lit battery symbol warned me there was trouble at the end of this road.

"A new battery will probably fix this whole situation," I thought to myself. Living within feet of an Auto Parts zone, I drove the truck to the most convenient parking space and prepared myself for the transplant. After retrieving a new battery and bolds for the side mounted posts. The transplant was a success, however there are minor side effects which may require further examination in the morning.

The high pitched sound is screeching louder than before, and the vivid battery light in the dish feels it's not yet time to relax. The voltage meeter reads in the red 19 area, we are at rest and no pressure is being applied to the gas pedal.

I am ready to put full attention into the alternator since it seems that's where the whining sounds loudest. Probably just end up changing the alternator but why would the volt meter jump to 19? it is overcompensating even with the new battery? hopefully my issue will be resolved soon.

glikegerardo

Reaction score
Refurbished alternator about $85 after core charge now the guess meter stays between 12 and 14. I think that's another problem solved.

glikegerardo

Reaction score
I now believe the strain on the alternator has caused some small problems, the right blinker is ticking a lot faster than the left blinker. About twice as fast.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I now believe the strain on the alternator has caused some small problems, the right blinker is ticking a lot faster than the left blinker. About twice as fast.

Not related. You have a bulb that is blown on one of your right side turn signals.

glikegerardo

Reaction score
Spot on with the bulbs. I don't know how unrelated it is though, the bulbs were replaced just two weeks ago. Only the second filament in two of the bulbs on the right side went out.