d44 carrier removale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so i picked up a hp d44 for my sas and the guy that i bought it from welded the spider gears together so it snaped a shaft. been reading on how to remove them and it says i need to remove the carrier and ring gear. i know on the 10b axle ive got i tried and it was not budging at all. is there a trick to removing the carrier without damaging the shims so i can just install it all the way i took it out?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Pull the axles, and remove the carrier bearing retainers. From there you just need to get a pry bar and remove the carrier from the housing.

On a Dana 44 the shims are originally installed inboard of the carrier bearing, meaning you have to press the bearings off to get the shims out. I do not know if the front 10-bolt is the same or if it's external shim like a rear 10-bolt.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Pull the axles, and remove the carrier bearing retainers. From there you just need to get a pry bar and remove the carrier from the housing.

On a Dana 44 the shims are originally installed inboard of the carrier bearing, meaning you have to press the bearings off to get the shims out. I do not know if the front 10-bolt is the same or if it's external shim like a rear 10-bolt.

a front 10b is the same as a d44 setup, only difference is the 10b uses a crush sleeve and a d44 uses shims on the pinion, a 10b rear is the same internal shim as is also a 12b, the 9.5 uses a external shim and a spanner nut and a 10.5 uses 2 spanner nuts to adjust the
carrier position and bearing preload

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2 methods I use, after pulling the caps, I spin the carrier so that I can wedge a pry bar between the carrier and the spider gears (orb or traction in your case) and pry it out using a scrap of wood on the cover flange. if I get a stubborn carrier, I made a simple case spreader and use it with the pry bar.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
a front 10b is the same as a d44 setup, only difference is the 10b uses a crush sleeve and a d44 uses shims on the pinion, a 10b rear is the same internal shim as is also a 12b, the 9.5 uses a external shim and a spanner nut and a 10.5 uses 2 spanner nuts to adjust the
carrier position and bearing preload

Every 10-bolt rear I've had apart used external shims (on the outside of the carrier bearing, meaning you don't have to press the bearing off) unlike the internal on the Dana 44. That includes a 79, 85, 88, 89, 91 and 99 truck's I've had apart. I've only had one 12-bolt apart and IIRC it used external shims as well.

When I installed gears in my Dana 44 I bought larger shims and used them on the outside so I didn't have to keep taking the bearings on and off.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so i got the 4.10s out of the 10 bolt an went to unbolt the ring gear and all the bolts broke i think they all just spin now :/ now im scared to remove the ring gear from the d 44

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
everything i have found said that d44 bolts are right hand thread and 10 bolt are left hand thread. guess thats why i messed em up