Cutting new tie rods???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
So I'm replacing EVERYTHING on my front end when I get to installing the inner tie rods on the passenger side. I kept the old tie rods, both inner and outer attached to the sleeves and old center link so I could get the new tie rods close before I took it for an alignment. After attaching the inner tie rod onto the center link I thread the sleeve onto the inner tie rod and match it to the old one. Then I took the outer tie rod and thread it on, but it bottoms out on the other tie rod before I can "match" it to the old one.

I then measured both old tie rods and find that they're 3/8"-1/2" shorter than the new MOOG ends. I assume that this happened the last time they were changed and they cut them down in order to get the toe in, etc required to get it aligned. Am I ok in cutting the necessary amount off to match the old ones? They're wasn't much space between the ends on the old one, so there should be plenty of adjustment when I take it to get aligned. I would post pics but I'm at work and can't.

BTW - The old inner tie rods were mounted backwards on the center link. The bolt portion was facing the rear of the truck, not the front like it's supposed to be.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to cut off 1/2" of each on on the pass side . These were my new Moog tie rods and had no problems. People cut them off all the time.

But is your truck stock? I had a Fabtech lift at that time

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Should be O.K. to do. Thread a nut onto the TRE past where you're going to cut. That way you can back the nut out to help smarten up the threads at the end where it's been cut. Use a cut-off wheel (fast) or a hacksaw (slow). Don't use a torch.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I figured I'd be alright. My truck is stock. Even with the old one's cut to their present length they're almost bottomed out.

And NOOOOOOOO. I'm going to cut them with a 90 deg die grinder and cut off wheel. People actually use torches. LMFAO!

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep just what i did, used a 4 1/2" cut off wheel and the old sleeves i cut the ends off and threaded them on the tre's and cut......... No problems at all!! good luck although you wont need it.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I didn't have to do that with mine. New tre an adjusters, I turned both the outer an inner in the same amount till the length matched the old one. That way they were both an equal distance inside the adjuster...

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
did you measure KNUCKLE end to end link? cause when i swapped to my moog. when i did mine i put them in a table vise with the bottom endlinks in same spots lenth wise and then just threaded them on till both links where the same from inner to outter link balljoint knuckle! i originally just measured threads and tried to put them together and they bottomed out that way! i think moog has more threads on the shaft than what ever links i had on my truck.
but still either way just be sure to get it in for alignment ASAP it can be all crazy for alittle as long as its not squealing tires when ya drive it will be close enough for 20miles not to hurt the tires much. of course you just eye balling them can be close enough while on the truck.