Cummins Swap into '83 Blazer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
I would defiantly look for a donor truck. For ease I would look for a 91-93 truck/engine. These were the first intercooled 6bt engines and are fully mechanical, you can use up to a 97 engine as long as its a 12 valve. In 98 the Cummins was upgraded to a 24 valve and has more electronics to deal with.

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
www.autoworldmt.com is a great place for parts and knowledge (their website isn't the greatest). Also www.tndieselpower.com does a lot of parts for that particular swap too.

When I did my conversion I tried to use TN Diesel Power but it usually took him a long time (1 week plus) to respond to emails, Autoworld was much quicker (typically 48 hours) and when you call they are very good at answering questions since they have done a ton of these swaps.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
eh i'm pretty sure Naomi isn't a sir :lol: :crazy:

sent from the c1500 Denali

:hidesbehindsofa:

the dangers of fly-by posting

I would defiantly look for a donor truck. For ease I would look for a 91-93 truck/engine. These were the first intercooled 6bt engines and are fully mechanical, you can use up to a 97 engine as long as its a 12 valve. In 98 the Cummins was upgraded to a 24 valve and has more electronics to deal with.

thanks, that helps me understand a bit more.

Yes I am a she, haha thanks :kiss:

:sorrysign:

Sooooooo----- what are the basics involved? Just give me the ghist of this. My dad probably has a rough idea, but some of you have already done this it sounds like. So what I need is an engine (obviously) new engine mounts (I assume) and some adapter to hook the engine up to the tranny?

Just give me a rough grating over if you will--

NaomiSays

Hot Tamalé!
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Read the thread in my signature, it will give you a lot of useful information.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Sooooooo----- what are the basics involved? Just give me the ghist of this. My dad probably has a rough idea, but some of you have already done this it sounds like. So what I need is an engine (obviously) new engine mounts (I assume) and some adapter to hook the engine up to the tranny?

Just give me a rough grating over if you will--

In a nutshell:

Adapter plate, engine mounts, flex plate/flywheel, fuel lines, lift pump, minimal wiring.

TH350 isn't going to cut it TH400 bare minimum and keep the power low on the fuel plate.

Torque converter with lower stall speed than gasser. A 6BT is nearly "all in" by 3500-ish and a mouse or rat is just beginning to wake up.

Assorted brackets, hoses and cables/linkages.

Exhaust, natch.

Seem to recall some passenger side frame rail massaging. Possibly a body lift to clear hood or cowl hood. Depends on how you install it sometimes.

Front suspension is going to squat under a 6bt's 1200lb fully dressed weight. Might need front springs or a re- arch if you don't like what you see or feel.

Probably forgetting some bits but that's the meat.

You can go all aftermarket or you can junkyard shop for things like adapter plates for a TH400 out of a 4BT delivery panel.

Plan on dropping anywhere from $5,000-10,000 depending on how good a scrounger/fabber you are or how picky you are....

Last edited:

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TH350 isn't going to cut it TH400 bare minimum and keep the power low on the fuel plate.

Torque converter with lower stall speed than gasser.

The TH400 should last for a good bit behind a Cummins. I have a non-rebuilt (110k) 4L80E behind my Cummins with the stock 454 torque converter and it works great. Just remember to gear accordingly since a TH400 doesn't have an overdrive.

I have got a smaller exhaust housing on the turbo, a 2nd Gen Dodge intercooler, pump turned up, 75 HP injectors, etc. and my transmission is holding up great.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The TH400 should last for a good bit behind a Cummins. I have a non-rebuilt (110k) 4L80E behind my Cummins with the stock 454 torque converter and it works great. Just remember to gear accordingly since a TH400 doesn't have an overdrive.

I have got a smaller exhaust housing on the turbo, a 2nd Gen Dodge intercooler, pump turned up, 75 HP injectors, etc. and my transmission is holding up great.

A stock th400 is good for around 350-400-ish hp before it starts to protest too loudly. The problem is the torque. A 6bt can make one cry for mercy fairly quickly. A 6bt can make more torque by 1800 than a rat can at 6000.

Keep the fuel reasonable and they can live behind the cummins....