Crate Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hyperti2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So as some of you guys might of saw the motor came apart in my truck and im going to put a crate motor in. However, i am not sure if my 98 1500 4wd l31 is a 4 bolt or a 2 bolt main, i was planning on switching to a 4 bolt main and 1 piece rear main seal. This says the application is chevy full size trucks and jegs says its 3/4 ton only. Would this motor bolt up to a 4l60e? I cannot find any information on this. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12530283/overview/

Last edited:

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your engine currently is not a 4 bolt. Everything should bolt up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
2 and 4 bolt dont really matter, you wont push enough power to need 4 bolt mains, you also should have a 1 piece rear main as well. with a 2pc rms block you wont be able to run stock roller lifers.

inthechateau

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you would have to be dealing with a pre 85 motor to have a two piece rear main. *6 went to one piece seal if my memory serves correct.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
+1. 85 back, 2 piece, 86+, 1 piece. unless you plan on making more than 600 hp, 4 bolt main caps are not necessary, and if you are in that hp area, i would suggest you buy a 2 bolt and have splayed caps installed on it. That bein said, if you want a 4 bolt 'just cuz'... Go for it. Long into short, yes it will be a direct bolt in. The pic on the link is showing an engine with TBI heads on it, they have EGR passages on them and 12 intake bolts. Be sure it has vortec heads on it so your intake will fit it.

Im sure thats just a stock photo, but just to be clear what i meant, these are vortec heads. No egr passage or bolt holes here.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea it always confuses me also. I just know the year because my block is an 86

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk