Coolent bubbling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Wow sounds like u have had a realy interesting life sounds like a good 1 I'm working my way up now I love cars and anything to do with them so anything I can lean I take it try my best at what I got also took a couple years at a auto tech trade school a few years ago but these days everthing has change so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How old are you and are you working in the automotive field now?

kevan.gibson.9

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 22 and no I would like to lean more mabye have my own shop 1 day but like as u said it's fun as a hobby and it is something I love but these days I don't realy no if I want much to do with all this new stuff u can't even Chang a plug with out some tool or a dealer has to I love my old truck old cars r my real passion to work on

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I'm 22 and no I would like to lean more mabye have my own shop 1 day but like as u said it's fun as a hobby and it is something I love but these days I don't realy no if I want much to do with all this new stuff u can't even Chang a plug with out some tool or a dealer has to I love my old truck old cars r my real passion to work on

If you want to "break into the industry" you are going to have to get cozy with computers and test equipment.

There's just no way around it.

Education and work experience is key. Constant retraining is also required to keep up with the technology changes. It's just a fact of life with new vehicles.

It's not hard really, most test equipment is designed to be fairly simple to use and it all works on pretty basic principles. There's a few new components and integration every year, but its never a mind boggling change. The computers just get tied into more and more.

In many ways, computers have made it easier to work on vehicles. When I was starting off, I would have killed for a box you could hook up to the car and have it tell you at least what systems were effected. Very often the car will tell you exactly what is wrong with it.

Then, it's just spinnin' wrenches. Easy peasy.

I can do nearly everything needed for repair in my own garage these days and I only have a couple grand in test equipment. A grand of that is tuning software you don't need to repair stuff. Truthfully, I don't have any CAN vehicles, only j1850 vpw/pwm and iso 9141-2 systems so I don't need to spend the money on it (much to my friends dissapointment! Lol)

I used to tune gassers, but I moved into diesels a couple years back. I can't do CAN stuff, but that would only be another 500 to a grand in equipment so no worries there if I wanted to get into it. The big thing about tuning is getting your head around what's going on inside the PCM. A solid background education is needed unless it comes fairly natural to you.

When I was doing repairs for money, all the gravy was in front end work. Alignments, ball joints, tie rods, etc. It's because it was dirt simple to do and the flat rate manual gave you oodles of time to do it. Lots of "short cuts" to speed the jobs up too (not scamming, just faster ways than the Mitchel Manual rates). Translation - $$$$$$

But, they longer you are out of the industry, the further behind you are going to be...in either repairs or a hot rod shop.....;)

Last edited:

kevan.gibson.9

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow thanks for that u realy changed my mind in all that Thank u lol well hope u have a good day ima hit the sake worked all night lol I will def be sending u a email if I have any problems!!

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
In many ways, computers have made it easier to work on vehicles. When I was starting off, I would have killed for a box you could hook up to the car and have it tell you at least what systems were effected. Very often the car will tell you exactly what is wrong with it.

Then, it's just spinnin' wrenches. Easy peasy.

It's amazing how "scared" I once was of the evil, computer controlled car. It's amazing what you can find out with a simple code reader on an OBD2 vehicle and then google the code.

I fix everything myself that I possibly can. I know my work is going to be more thorough than about 99.9% of the people that I would take it to, and cheaper. My 97 Vortec 5.7 is just about the perfect vehicle. There is very little on it that is out of my level of being able to repair once I diagnose it. The computer often makes diagnosis easier.

On your bubbling coolant, Great White is dead on. It's probably exhaust gasses escaping by the head gasket. That pressure test should find it.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
It's amazing how "scared" I once was of the evil, computer controlled car. It's amazing what you can find out with a simple code reader on an OBD2 vehicle...

Yessir.

Cut my teeth on carbs and points. I kept up with the tech as it moved along. Heck, I remember when we got our first "Bear" tester. Monstrous thing hanging on a track. Hooked up a couple dozen leads under hte hood and shove a sniffer up the pipe and it would tell you pretty much all you needed to know to fix the early FI and computerized carbs (******* things they were).

The variable venturi carbs Ford came out with would send guys into the far corners of the shop and balled up in the fetal position. Nightmare, total nightmare.

Don't get me started on trying to synch the carbs on a 12 cylinder Jag .....

Then OBD came in and it was like a fog had been lifted from diagnosing a fault.

I will never go back to anything less than FI ever again and nothing below OBDI.

I've got couple carbed cars (one with points, 62 tbird) and they're great for what they are (fun Sunday drivers and projects), but I'll take a good FI (or diesel) any day.

Not all technology is evil.

:rofl:

Last edited:

burkey05

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's amazing how "scared" I once was of the evil, computer controlled car. It's amazing what you can find out with a simple code reader on an OBD2 vehicle and then google the code.

I fix everything myself that I possibly can. I know my work is going to be more thorough than about 99.9% of the people that I would take it to, and cheaper. My 97 Vortec 5.7 is just about the perfect vehicle. There is very little on it that is out of my level of being able to repair once I diagnose it. The computer often makes diagnosis easier.

same with me. i diagnose and fix everything thing i possibly can. as i know my work is more trustworthy and thorough than anyone i can take it to, especially here in australia. no one knows what the f they're doing with it

and forums like these usually provide whatever help you need to get problems figured out

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Most of the time when you take your vehicle in for any service, you are going to get charged whatever the "book" says it should take in time. Then many times, every corner that can be cut will be cut to do it quicker. You end up with missing fasteners or brackets thrown in the garbage. I hate that stuff. I know there are some great mechanics out there, but I'll spend the time to get that last son of a ***** screw back in to fasten a bracket that most mechanics will say are not needed.