Coolent bubbling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevan.gibson.9

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm new here leaning how to work this lol any way I have a 1994 chevy siverado 5.7 221000 mils truck runs a little rough at idle not bad lots of power but when I'm driving my heater gets realy realy hot almost as soon as I start the truck ok so when I shut it off I can here the over flow tank bubbling This is my 3 t stat and it has new rad plz help I'm stuck .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Potentially a head gasket from your description.

Do you get a lot of "white smoke" out of the tailpipe and do you have to add coolant on a somewhat regular basis?

kevan.gibson.9

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea like 1 a month and it's cold here so it's always got smoke but when it's hot out it don't smoke at all and no coolent in my oil or oil in my overflow

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Yea like 1 a month and it's cold here so it's always got smoke but when it's hot out it don't smoke at all and no coolent in my oil or oil in my overflow

If your adding coolant monthly and there's none on the ground your head gaskets just moved up the probability scale to the "likely" category.

What a "1"? 1 liter, 1 quart, 1 gallon, etc?

A coolant system pressure test is in order.....

:(

kevan.gibson.9

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sucks so if I do that test how am I ganna tell from just standing there looking

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
That sucks so if I do that test how am I ganna tell from just standing there looking

Its a hand pump tester that goes I place of the rad cap.

You pump it up to 10-15 psi and if it bleeds off then the cooling system is open.

I pull spark plugs and I can often hear it "ssssss-ing" in the affected cylinder. This often saves me from pulling both heads, bit i usually do anyways since its just another set of head bolts to put a fresh gasket in.

If its bad, you may even get a squirt of mist when turning the engine over with the plugs out.

If the cooling system holds pressure, you can breath a sigh of relief as the head gaskets are good....:)

Overheating or rapid gaug climb is also a sign of a bad head gasket. If your upper rad hose goes hard within a few moments after start that is another indication of head gasket...

Last edited:

kevan.gibson.9

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok cool thank u very much I will cheak that got 1 more ? Not about that I've had 6 mechanics look and can't find my problem ok so my truck like hopes or Shacks can't realy tell but only happinds beteween 35 and 40 miles a hour have the carrier barring replaced all tires and rims new shocks new gearbox idler and pitman arm said my front end look goo no bad parts new hub and roters on both side any ideas ?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Ok cool thank u very much I will cheak that got 1 more ? Not about that I've had 6 mechanics look and can't find my problem ok so my truck like hopes or Shacks can't realy tell but only happinds beteween 35 and 40 miles a hour have the carrier barring replaced all tires and rims new shocks new gearbox idler and pitman arm said my front end look goo no bad parts new hub and roters on both side any ideas ?

I'm sorry, I didn't understand that...

kevan.gibson.9

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I drive down the road my truck shakes or it's bouncing I'm not realy shore and 6 people with years experience do not have a clue on what's wrong only does it at 35 to 40 mph. Hope that helps sorry not a good speller lol

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
2wd or 4x4?

No worries on the spelling, but it has to be close enough to suss it out for me. "Hopes and shacks" threw me a bit...