Coolant temperature sensor problems 98 k1500 5.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenn7792

Reaction score
I’ve searched for a while through these forums and I can’t find my answer. My truck was delayed when accelerating then one day it didn’t start. After changing fuel filter then fuel pump the CTS (the one in the thermostat not the lower driver side one) was suggested. I changed it and everything was great for one month. Then same thing happened. One day it didn’t start. I returned the ac Delco sensor and got the NGK but also change the pigtail. Like magic everything ran great for 2 months. Now the truck won’t start. I changed the sensor and it’s still nothing. I know it has to do with this sensor.

1. Any suggestions
2.there is a black and a yellow wire that go to the sensor, is one of them a ground or are the switch wires that I can jump together?

Last edited:

kenn7792

Reaction score
I'm not sure how a CTS would prevent an engine from starting. Unless maybe it's over fueling it so much that it can't? Can you use a scanner and see what the sensor is reporting for temperature?
I took the pigtail off and tied the two wires together and it started with the CEL on. So I bought a pigtail at advance and magically everything fine now.
2 pigtails and 3 sensors in 4 months....