Considering cutting off my muffler.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I have a 98 GMC 1500 with the Vortec 305, it has single exhaust. I'm craving the loud exhaust (first quiet truck I've owned), since I'm on a tight budget, I'm considering cutting my muffler off as far away from the cat as possible and adding a turn down later. How bad would it sound to someone who actually likes the glasspack sound, and will it help or hurt power and fuel mileage??

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I dont mind the sound of just a cat on most stock setups, it'll be louder but likley no crackle or pop.
Wont do anything significant for power or mileage

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did this to mine and its definitely louder than most glasspacks, but you also get the exhaust drone inside the cab when running on the freeway. In my opinion it kind of sounds like ****. I bought a couple glasspacks from summit off of ebay for $30 each.

frito-bandito

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback, I'm probally gonna take the cut off wheel to it tonight at work, its no real loss since I already planned on buying a glass pack to start with. Doing it this way will let me decide if I like it or to go ahead and buy a glasspack on payday. I'm not looking to increase power or fuel mileage, but I for sure don't wanna lose any.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
This is what I'm running on my TBI 355. It's loud as **** when you jump on the throttle and damn sure shakes the ground around it at idle. My exhaust is stock headers to Y-pipe, to pancake cat, then cut off about a foot further. It dies get annoying sometimes but if you drive around with the radio loud, it won't bother you.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
This is what I'm running on my TBI 355. It's loud as **** when you jump on the throttle and damn sure shakes the ground around it at idle. My exhaust is stock headers to Y-pipe, to pancake cat, then cut off about a foot further. It dies get annoying sometimes but if you drive around with the radio loud, it won't bother you.

2 totally different animals, the vortec exhaust is nothing like your early tbi exhaust, even the later tbi exhaust with the high flow cat is different and far better flowing than your setup

showtime

Reaction score
My friend with a 95 is straight piped with a cat and it sounds real good... lots of drone but im used to it.

frito-bandito

Reaction score
My 94 with a 4.3 had a 12" glasspack dump with a cat, and it was loud as hell when I stomped it, which I loved, and it had the drone, I think I can live with it. It was busy at work so I didn't have a chance to chop the muffler tonight, hopefully I'll do it tomorrow night. Can't wait!!!

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
I have a 94 as well and I have a super 44 with a 4" dump and it doesn't drone at all. My cousin just picked up a 91 and is running 2.5" all the way out the back into a tip on each side of the hitch and no muffler and it sounds pretty good with no drone either