Computer help for carb swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

355_sleeper

Reaction score
So I'm swapping my 94 single cab short bed to a built 355 with a carb. I'm wanting to use the stock fuel pump with a regulator on it. Trying to get rid of as many wires as I can that go to the computer and still leave the computer in to run the fuel pump and all my factory gauges. My main question is will the fuel pump run this way? I'm deleting the a/c so I'm not worried about that or really anything else. It's a 5 speed so I don't have to worry about the transmission. What wires can I cut and which ones do I need to keep?

355_sleeper

Reaction score
And yes, I have researched and researched. There is nothing I have found that is cut and dry what I need to make this work.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The ECM doesn't run the fuel pump, or the gauges except the speedo. Of your put a HEI distributor, with the carb, you can rewire you gauges grounds and they will work. The tach works off of the distributor also. The speedo works off of the VSS as does the Cruse control of you have it. Now, I can't tell you what wire is what. A Haynes manual should have that info.

355_sleeper

Reaction score
From what I have read, the ecm does control the fuel pump. The ecm connects the ground to turn the fuel pump on when the key is turned on. I know the gauges are separate from the ecm but it is all looped together in the harness. I know what runs what etc but I just need to know what wires are what. I have looked for pinouts of the harness but there are none for a manual transmission. Just automatic. If it comes down to it, I'll just have to hook it back up and find everything out by myself but I'd rather not go through all that.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The small-cap HEI will run without the computer. Mine's trucking along just fine with no ESC module. I'd have to look to see what wires I have connected to it.

Trlrider

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The small-cap HEI will run without the computer. Mine's trucking along just fine with no ESC module. I'd have to look to see what wires I have connected to it.
A factory small-cap HEI? Or a Aftermarket?
Okay, then how are you controlling timing advance, since the factory small cap HEI does not have any built in mechincal advance mechanisms? I have a few of those dizzies on the shelf, and none have a mechanical advance.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Factory small-cap. I'm running a Sniper setup, and I want to move to the Sniper distributor, but that's waiting a couple months. I'll take a closer look today because it's been over a year since I yanked all the ESC crap, but I don't believe there's anything controlling the distributor. I have the advance set fairly aggressively and it runs just fine.

Trlrider

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Factory small-cap. I'm running a Sniper setup, and I want to move to the Sniper distributor, but that's waiting a couple months. I'll take a closer look today because it's been over a year since I yanked all the ESC crap, but I don't believe there's anything controlling the distributor. I have the advance set fairly aggressively and it runs just fine.
Interesting! No advance mechanism, Goes against everything I know with old school and new technology, and still run smooth without burning pistons, having a load of knock or being a bear to crank. Worked on one not to long back that had a MSD box attached to a small cap factory dizzy only using the pickup. But the MSD controlled all the timing.

Is the Sniper controlling the timing? I have not studied those setups!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't figured out how to get it to control the GM HEI. I thought there was a way, but when I tried to hook it up I got nothing.

355_sleeper

Reaction score
I've got an aftermarket hei distributor that's in it so I don't have to worry about that other than just a power wire. Main things I'm looking for is to run all my factory gauges and the fuel pump. I just need to know if there is anything I need to keep for the ecm to control the fuel pump (other than fuel pump wires). The gauges I know aren't controlled through the ecm but it's all looped together and I was hoping to find a pinout of the connectors so I didn't have to hook everything back up to find what I need but I've already started that.