Component Speaker?'s for my 97 Ext. Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would just run normal door spearkers w/o the crossover. i had that same basic pioneer set up before but an older model they sound good dont get me wrong but for a 1/4 of that price you can get great sounding door speakers that will please you quite well over stock man. with a speaker and headunit upgrade you can get just about the same sounds out of a normal speaker. but if you get your dreams set on them youll still be happy. the crossover i had mounted up under the dash and ran new wires yes. and if you add an amp that is the perfect set up yes. i wouldnt add much of an amp though. you may want to go junkyarding and find some nice bose speakers IMO they would sound just as good esp if you can get the little boxes that were designed for the bose to fit in your door. iv had several set ups and id say the bose sounded the best overall and cost about 40 bucks to put it all together on top of that. good luck to you and remember anything is gona sound better that a stock paper speaker!

J-Dub

Underdog Performance
Reaction score
If you want something for a super low price, but sound just as good if not better than those. Get the PYLE Gear X Series. I have them all around in my hoe in addition to subs and they never rattle, bottom, anything. And I like it LOUD.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try to keep my system all pioneer. I have a set of pioneer premier 10's in a down-fire box in the back, powered by a pioneer 760w amp.

J-Dub

Underdog Performance
Reaction score
That's how I was with my tiburon. All Kenwood. It has components, 2 12"s, 6x9's, tweeters, 2 400watt amps, 7" in dash everything.. All kenwood.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes i would highley recomend pioneer speakers to you. componant or not but i would go with that second set. as for subs i hate pioneer never had good luck with them and klicker was my fav there but kicker speakers i ended up blowing with a stock hu go figure. the best combo for sound and reliabiliy for me was a pioneer hu and their door speakers with a hifonics brutus series amp and kicker L7s for the subs set up. but im sure your not looking to go competition bass wize so im sure any sub would work just fine to get a little extra low. i would also suggest if your door panels or interior rattle now esp the door panels it will prob sound worse with bigger door speakers if not then you should be set!

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I first got the truck it rattled a little but I fixed that ASAP, lol. I also use Silicone spray lube on all the weather stripping, you can't imagine how much of a difference that makes.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying this set of component speakers for my 97 Ext Cab Z71 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Speakers/D-Series/TS-D1320C?tab=B

I have a few questions about installing component speakers in an obs.

1. Where did you mount the crossover?

2. Did you use the factory wiring or run new wire, I want to add a small amp later if I need to.

3. Any pics?

Thanks in advance

those look cool, I think you'd dig 'em. I run front components on my truck, they're polk ones though. I have the crossovers mounted on the back wall behind the rear seat along with all my amps. when I did all the sound deadening in the cab, I glued up some small slats of wood back there to mount stuff to so I wouldn't be mounting to the sheetmetal.

I ran all new wiring to everything, amps, speakers, sub, etc.

I don't have any pics of it though, I tried to make everything look stock, so all the speakers I made fit behind the stock covers, and in the stock locations, so from the outside it looks factory. but its very much not.

FWIW, I'm running Polk comps up front, polk 4x6's in the rear, with a single 10" polk sub under the rear bench. I power 'em with all kicker amps, I've got a a 4 channel amp bridged to 2 channels powering the front comps, a smaller powered 2 channel amp powering the rear speakers, and a good 2 channel amp bridged to 1 channel powering the sub. all contolled with a pioneer DEH-P600UB head unit. I also did alot of sound deadening and such in the cab durring the install and it sounds incredible. so much better than stock.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
If I recall most newer component speaker set ups come with a small crossover that should be able to be screwed in the door under the panel “hidden” bye the speakers. components is better than “all in one” speaker IMO but if you’re just trying to replace to have sounds then buy whatever is comparable with your head unit. Having a bigger than 5 band equalizer will greatly improve your systems sound and quality of clarity. I’m in search for a new head unit to replace my stock delco BOSE unit as I want a few more notches of volume. Lol but I will be doing my best to get a multi band eq built in the radio to tweak my sound as to really not touch anything but the bass for songs that have lower recorded sound or just the lack of bass altogether lol. Look for RMS wattage that’s the real watts of your unit and speakers the better speakers have high rms rating.