combo help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C/Ktruckfan

Reaction score
vehicle in question is a 1998 tahoe 4 door 4WD. I want to run the NBS Silverado 17's with Toyo OC A/T 285/70-17 tires part# 301710 (49lbs each). I plan to:
*level the truck with a T-bar crank and 1.5 or 2" blocks
*pcmforless.com tune
*some type of free flowing catback
*good tuneup

my questions are, what will these mods due to the overall performance of the truck compared to stock? will that tire size drastically affect a 3.73 geared Tahoe? It's a daily driver that splits time on the highway with backroads and just want an idea as to what I can expect. thanks

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
In short... not much.

Like he said...you'll lose some power and mileage from the bigger tires and then you should gain some back with the performance mods you mentioned. Overall you come about about like stock except for larger tiresand more front end wear from the t-bar crank

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stay less then 1.5" crank and the setup wont be to bad, IMO 2" crank is too much for a daily driver, just eats front end parts to fast. As for performance, I noticed a little loss with my 285's compared to the stock 245's. I feel a trans shift kit would make a big difference in the loss, stock it just shifts to early and soft.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Stay less then 1.5" crank and the setup wont be to bad, IMO 2" crank is too much for a daily driver, just eats front end parts to fast. As for performance, I noticed a little loss with my 285's compared to the stock 245's. I feel a trans shift kit would make a big difference in the loss, stock it just shifts to early and soft.

A cheap farily easy mod to do if you want a firmer, faster 1-2 shift is to get a corvette servo kit. I got mine from oregon performance transmission for about $20 and it took me about an hour to do having no previous trans work experience

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
A cheap farily easy mod to do if you want a firmer, faster 1-2 shift is to get a corvette servo kit. I got mine from oregon performance transmission for about $20 and it took me about an hour to do having no previous trans work experience

I have one of these en route from them as we speak. I may order another when it comes time to swap.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
I have one of these en route from them as we speak. I may order another when it comes time to swap.

Its a nice cheap, easy mod that improves performance some and helps hold second gear better which is one of the first gears that starts going out in the 4l60e's

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Its a nice cheap, easy mod that improves performance some and helps hold second gear better which is one of the first gears that starts going out in the 4l60e's

The whole reason I'm planning a swap is because I believe 2nd is on its way... lol