Code 24 come on and off???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tubbz

Reaction score
Hi I’m pretty new here and I’ve been having issues with my 93 Chevy 5.7 350 4x4. I’ve already replaced the speed sensor but I keep getting code 24 not sure if the codes are correlated to the ecm or how to properly diagnose any help is highly appreciated.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
code 24, Wiring open circuit/short circuit to ground, PROM, VSS, ECM.
That's a nasty one.
Is the code consistant? or intermittent?
Did you use AC Delco VSS?

Tubbz

Reaction score
code 24, Wiring open circuit/short circuit to ground, PROM, VSS, ECM.
That's a nasty one.
Is the code consistant? or intermittent?
Did you use AC Delco VSS?
Yes I used ac delco vss and the code is intermittent. When I cold start code isn’t there but appears after some time after driving

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd start with checking the engine bay grounds, particularly the ones between the engine to the body and frame - they're two braided straps, one goes from rear of passenger side head to the firewall near heater core hoses, other goes from same spot on firewall down to the frame near the passenger upper control arm. These are commonly loose, missing, damaged..

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need the Genuine GM service manual for your model year and vehicle type. ('93, C/K?)

Follow the instructions for diagnosing Code 24.

Wild Guess: Not a ground problem. Perhaps broken wire(s) or cracked insulation on the VSS wire harness.

When that was my '88, it was a faulty instrument cluster. But I'm not sure the '93 uses the same VSS system as my '88. I'd lose the speedo, odo, cruise, ABS, and torque converter clutch all at the same time. A few miles--or days--later, it would "heal" for awhile. Totally random, totally unpredictable.