CLUSTER AND TRANNY PROBLEM NEED HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Need help!!
I was installing some LEDs in my cluster, at first it didn't make good contact so I cleaned up the connection and it worked great BUT my gauges won't work only my RPMs, also the tranny won't shift (automatic) I tried resetting it by unplugging the battery (twice) and NOTHING!
I drove it home and now all my cluster won't light up and my tranny is still messed up!
Any advice??
My friend said its a wire in the dash causing all this but I gotta find it first..

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
Holy hell. Never heard of having that much trouble from pulling the cluster!!. now some insight I have is, when I shorted out my cluster I had the truck running with only the base of the cluster plugged in amd the truck was idling at 1200 rpm. As soon as I put the front of the cluster back on the truck idled down to 700. weird huh. I have no clue what is going on with your truck. You need another cluster to put in so you can rule out your cluster as the problem.

CrewCab Steve

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
How do you not have a good contact? The cluster is bolted down with 4 screws?

I've taken mine out about 10 times and never had a problem.

Have you checked fuses? I bet you shorted it out the connector as you were putting the cluster in.

Reaction score
Well the connection from the dash was loose but made good contact at first, but when I had pushed my radio back in, all the lights turned off then on, I did check fuses and everything was still good, I tried resetting by unplugging the battery but nothing changed.
My friend says it has to be a short somewhere to cause all the lights to go out at the same time but I guess I have to wait till Sunday till we tear it apart and find the problem

Reaction score
I had taken out the AC controls out to check what bulbs they used, when I tried to put it back in it wasn't fitting so I took out the radio (aftermarket) to help tuck the wires, no wires disconnected everything was the same

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
What year is the truck?

It matters in PCM vs VSSB, etc....

Shorting wires could potentially mess up the PCM or Vssb.

Mess up the PCM and all manner of bad things can happen.

Mess up the VSSB and your transmission controller won't see vehicle speed.....

Don't you already have a thread going on this problem?

Reaction score
1995 gmc Sierra 1500 v6
Someone told me it might be the cluster itself that went bad so on goin get another jus to swap and see what happens..