Chokes at open throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it seems that it starts right at 10psi if I'm reading the gauge right. Also, I never got the code 42.
10PSI is marginal, I prefer a little higher pressure. I'm surprised you didn't get a code, I have to ask, are you sure you got the correct wire?

Once I plugged the est wire back in, it idles pretty high.
TBIs kinda are known for that. You'll need to put it on a scanner and see what the IAC is doing. There's a procedure for calibrating your base idle, IAC, and TPS here.

Attachments

• Tuning the TBI.pdf
    270.9 KB · Views: 5

domcan1000

Reaction score
10PSI is marginal, I prefer a little higher pressure. I'm surprised you didn't get a code, I have to ask, are you sure you got the correct wire?

TBIs kinda are known for that. You'll need to put it on a scanner and see what the IAC is doing. There's a procedure for calibrating your base idle, IAC, and TPS here.

No I'm not sure what I got the correct wire but i did notice a difference with it plugged in vs unplugged. When I plugged it back in it was about 20* advanced.

How would I get more pressure? I know about the mod of the adjustable regulator but I haven't done it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I plugged it back in it was about 20* advanced.
That's about right.

How would I get more pressure? I know about the mod of the adjustable regulator but I haven't done it.
You should check your fuel pump by blocking off the return line and see what pressure it develops. If it goes up then it's probably good. If good, then you can get/make an AFPR or send your TB out to get it rebuilt and pressure set to 13 or 14PSI. Here's a link to where you can get the adapter, gauge, and AFPR.

http://www.rvmorsemachine.com/product.htm

Here's what it looks like, you have to drill an offset hole for the adjusting screw and bend down the MAP sensor vacuum tube a little.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's what it looks like installed.

1st I would try calibrating your base idle and stuff.

domcan1000

Reaction score
What would be the best way to block off the return?
Also, I assume that I can't read anything or really do the calibration without an ALDL scanner?

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would be the best way to block off the return?
You can pinch off the hose near the tank sending unit. There are 3, the bigger one is supply, and the other 2 are return and Charcoal Canister vent. If you can't trace the return line pinch one off and see if the pressure goes up, then try the other.

Also, I assume that I can't read anything or really do the calibration without an ALDL scanner?
You can do it with a volt meter too. Here's an example from SP Performance. Just follow the instructions.