Chokes at open throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domcan1000

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I haven't driven my truck in a few years now and am trying to get it back on the road. I have cleaned the TBI, took my injectors to get cleaned, and replaced the fuel pump. After all of this, when I push the gas very slowly it will run just fine until I get to about 40mph. If I push the gas even just a little harder, it almost wants to die(but it doesn't) and after a minute it goes back to normal and revs up as it should. Before I stopped driving it I was told that one of my cylinders had bad compression.

I appreciate any help.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Without doing a compression test, I would check all electrical meaning , cap, rotor, wires , coil, and anything else that takes a load when you demand the engine to go. Even if parts are new. When I had a misfire it would still make it to 60. Mine being a v8 vortec would be different. But your tbi v6 should get at least faster then 40 I would think. Any tbi wizards? Hopefully they chime in

domcan1000

Reaction score
My bad I changed the fuel filter not the pump. What is the suction sock? Not sure what the fuel pressure is I left the stock regulator in. I did set the timing to 0 but I don't know what the eat wire is.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the suction sock?
It's like a filter on the end of the pump suction tube inside the tank.

Not sure what the fuel pressure is I left the stock regulator in
You can borrow a pressure gauge that goes where the filter is from you friendly neighborhood auto parts store. The pressure s/b 11 - 13 PSI

I did set the timing to 0 but I don't know what the eat wire is.
EST = Electronic Spark Timing bypass wire. When disconnected it bypasses the ECM so you can set your base timing. If you set it with the wire still connected you're probably running way too retarded. I'm not sure it's near the firewall on your truck. It may be behind the glove box. Here's a picture of where it is (if yours is actually there) in the wire loom near the trans dipstick (red arrow). You may have to open up the loom and dig it out if it hasn't been done before. You disconnect it then set your timing to 0* @ idle with warm engine.

You must be registered for see images attach