Cheap Parts - The Temptation is Real

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After doing a complete inspection on my "new" trucks front end, I have come to the conclusion that all the components are tight... but every single boot is dry rotted and destroyed. The bushing are also all dry rotted from age. The boots are not just a little bad, they are a LOT of bad. There is NO grease being contained within them or dirt being kept out.

I also need to new tires, so this would be a good time to makes sure my entire front end is up to spec so I can get an alignment and enjoy some new rubber on the truck.

Needing new tires and front suspension/steering components, I find myself up against an obstacle. Some unexpected maintenance drained my budget for the front end and tires. So now, I am price shopping.

Of course, my usual go-to for aftermarket front end parts is Moog, but it is a little to high for me at the moment. Browsing Rock Auto, I looked at Mevotech "Supreme" as a secondary option that is a little more budget friendly. Then, I see good ol Ultra-Power! Jeez, those prices make me happy!

Amazon has some kits from random vendors that are also rediculously dirt cheap!

I cruised the internet looking for first-hand experience for different budget friendly brands, but got the usual split of FOR and AGAINST opinions.

Has anyone run any budget friendly brands recently, other than Moog, and had positive results with the GMT400 trucks? I ask this because suppliers change and sometimes the parts and quality do as well over the years.

This is not an off road rig or a mud runner... It's just a truck that will be driven occasionally and used within normal operating limits.

Eventually, it may see a 6 inch lift and some 33's with light trail riding, but at that time, I will probably go ahead and swap the suspension components again depending on the needs of the kit.

kenk

Reaction score
front end parts, check out Detroit axle, Moog front hub, $200, Detroit Axle hub $58, they have a package deal on front end parts, I wont spend the money anymore for a name, Moog quality has been going down hill

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
front end parts, check out Detroit axle, Moog front hub, $200, Detroit Axle hub $58, they have a package deal on front end parts, I wont spend the money anymore for a name, Moog quality has been going down hill

I saw an 89.99 package on amazon for Detroit Axle! At that price, they give you just about everything you need to do the front end, minus the idler arm bracket.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just don't know if I a can pull the trigger... My brain is telling me to go with Mevotech and stop being a cheap @$$. I had the budget, then it had to get spent elsewhere... Just can't get the thought of my wheel falling off while I am driving down the road out of my head, lol.

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your subject caught my eye. I bought a really cheap ebay full front end kit and I noticed the other day that after 1500 miles the sway bar links looks pretty cooked. I will post pics of them when I get my truck back from the shop (unrelated).

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found some funds and went ahead and bought AC Delco Professional from Amazon. I guess I just feel better knowing they are name brand. Moog had gotten a bit of trash talk on several forums (who knows it it is true), but I didn't run across any major negatives on the professional series from AC Delco.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found some funds and went ahead and bought AC Delco Professional from Amazon. I guess I just feel better knowing they are name brand. Moog had gotten a bit of trash talk on several forums (who knows it it is true), but I didn't run across any major negatives on the professional series from AC Delco.
I've heard some bad things about Moog quality in recent years. I did AC Delco pro tie rods, pitman and idler, I'm happy with them.

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had Mevotech ball joints and a few other parts under my 95 4 door 2wd for almost 10 years. Still going strong, has almost 300K.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1998 C1500 5.7 ext cab. Was tempted by the ACDelco prices, but went MOOG for front end replacement around 215,000 miles. Bought them over time from various vendors when I could get the best prices..

Also put in Bilstein 4600 shocks (the yellow ones)

It's been great to finally be able to get an alignment that is dialed in!