Chatter coming from NV3500 5 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5SPD350

Reaction score
I have a 92 C1500 with a 350 TBI and NV3500 (Which I believe to be the HM290/5LM60 from the 88-92 and not the 93+ NV3500) transmission. Truck was originally an auto, swapped to manual , not by me by previous owner. I've owned the truck a little over 3 years now. The clutch has been replaced once awhile ago, a year +. Within the past 3-4 months I've developed a "chatter". It sounds like a quick tapping noise, llike something rattling around. It's most prominent when idling in neutral not going anywhere. But, it also makes the noise when the truck is in gear and just creeping (clutch engaged(foot off clutch) and no throttle being applied) just letting it creep along at low speed say in a parking lot. The noise goes away when you apply slight pressure ( and I mean barely even putting your foot on the clutch) But as soon as you let it out, it's back. It may be making the noise when driving as well, but my exhaust is quite loud so it's hard to tell. It also from time to time, is difficult to press the clutch pedal in, while at other times it is not. Like something is sticking in the clutch. Any idea what this could be? Clutch going out, input shaft bearing, pilot bearing/bushing, throw out bearing, slave cylinder, flywheel? Also, I am hard on the truck at times. I like to catch rubber on the 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd shift from time to time. However, I do not do burnouts or clutch drops, or launches or anything like that. Just like to practice some speed shifting from time to time. I also do sometimes clutchless downshift/rev match from 5-4, 4-3, 3-2. But never 2-1. It doesn't ever grind at all when doing this, just slips right in. Don't know if my tranny is worn enough to do that with, or if most NV3500 can be downshifted that smoothly without the clutch.

Last edited:

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
Throw out bearing I would assume. Sounds very similar to the sound and situation I had in my 95 5 speed

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2