CD player/head unit install 91 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
I bought one of these kits on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Picku...m5b1619fafa:m:mqkFbVodPsvrE6eP_pNC5OA&vxp=mtr
You must be registered for see images attach

and bought a Pioneer head unit with cd/MP3/ Ipod input/usb from Walmart on clearance for $45 and I set out to do the install last night.

The instructions that came with the kit were awesome. There was a lot to take out, and a specific order to put the new stuff in (which I did not follow and had to do some re-work..)

Take the lower trim piece off under the steering column (2 phillips screws)

Unbolt the amplifier (1 10mm bolt right above the gas pedal, and 2 7mm screws under the dash that holds the top bracket on) then twist the amp out of the way. Unplug the antenna and 3 or 4 other plugs that go to the volume controls and tape deck.

Take the gauge bezel outer trim off by taking out the 4 perimeter screws, and pull the trim away from the gauges, and twist it around the shifter to remove it. Once thats off, you need to remove the heater controls (4 7mm screws) and remove the volume controls (4 7mm screws and 2 1/4" screws on mine), take the tape deck volume controls out.

Remove the trim around the tape deck by pulling it out from the bottom. Unscrew the 7mm screws that hold the tape deck in, and pull the tape deck out. Unplug the small plug from the back of the tape deck, and fish the wires out of the dash. Now the tape deck is out. remove the 3 7mm bolts from the steel bracket that used to hold the back of the tape deck. twist the bracket and take it out.

Next, pull the volume controls out of the dash, fishing the wires out as you go. fish the wires for the stereo and the antenna up through the dash so they come out where the tape deck was.

Install the pocket in place of the volume controls. Install the heater controls. Install the gauge bezel outer trim.

Swap your vents over to the new trim piece for around the stereo. Swap your two lower retaining clips over to the new trim piece.

Plug all your new wires for the new stereo into the factory harness and any antenna adapter is needed.

Install the new trim piece.

Install the new stereo sleeve, bend all the tabs necessary to hold it steady in the trim piece.

Plug in the stereo wires to the stereo and slide it into the trim piece.

install the stereo trim bezel. Turn on key and test the new stereo.

I didn't put the trim in place before sliding the stereo in- you will not be able to get the trim angled in place if you attach the stereo to the trim before putting the trim on the dash!

I will take some installed pics when I get a chance. All in all about 2.5 hours if you take your time, and make nice wiring connections for the stereo.

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
So here is the outcome- not the greatest pictures, but you get the idea- The kit looks really nice!

and the little cubby hole in place of the radio volume controls is great for the remote for the new stereo and the Ipod or cell phone

4player

Wookie Wagon
Reaction score
I ran that set up for years in my 88 Stepside and in my 94 before I got tired of the single din and made my own double din. I put light switches in my old stereo pocket......its a great place for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ObsGus