Cargo lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I got a '93 sierra I'm almost done restoring. As I work around the truck, my old yellowed cargo light is screaming for replacement...I REALLY wanna go with an led unit as a whole but everything I find is with the third brake light, which I don't have..... anybody ever find or install one? Option b is find a new lense and replace the bulb with an LED replacement. Thanks in advance!

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I rewired and modded my cargo light so it is independent of the interior light circuit. I ran new wires from one of the aux 12v plugs beside the cig lighter, it always has power and is a convenient spot to grab power from. I got another oem cargo light switch, put it right above the oem switch and wired the illumination bulb so it came on when turned on instead of with the dash lights. I then ran these wires to the back and cut the old wires from the oem cargo light and soldered and shrink wrapped the connection to the oem sockets. Everything was perfect and then I blew 2 kinda expensive led bulbs. These oem sockets are different from all other 194 sockets.... they will work fine with a regular incandescent bulb but not with an led. Put a multimeter on it and check voltage, there are 4 terminals but the left 2 are connected and so are the right 2. A regular incandescent bulb has a bent over wire that contacts 1 side when the new leds are negative on the front and positive on the back and vise versa... if the led bulb is printed on a circuit board you can take a utility knife and scrape the copper off the board so it dosent short out. My replacement led bulbs were projector lenses and 2" long not realizing the differences in the 194 and the like bulbs.... so I drilled 2 holes in the lense and inserted the bulb into the socket from outside and siliconed the very small gap up. Bright as hell but I kept thinking about the oem cargo light wiring sitting in the roof.... well I grabbed a couple silicone embedded leds and soldered them on to the ends of the wires and stuck them back into the lense. Now I have independent cargo lights that are actually useful and oem cargo lights that function with the interior light circuit and comes on when I open the door.

And oh before I started this I took the lense in the house and cleaned it up real well with some hot water, dish soap and elbow grease.

Al

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity did you consider adding a 3rd brake / cargo light combo to sort of update the truck or are you just going for restoration (with the LED lights of course) . I have a 93 Cheyenne that has no cargo light and would sort of like to add one. I wonder if the wiring is present for one or do I need to run wires as well as drill the hole?

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OP has a Silverado that has one. I assume it was an option that my truck's original owner didn't bother with (Thank goodness he did go for Air, cruise, and a radio. radio is upgraded but I do use the harness!)

If my Cheyenne has the wiring under the metal for a cargo light I might add one, or maybe add a 3rd brake too as that is a proven safety item. I have a Silverado grill for it so it won't be all that stock when I finish anyway. I just want all the deluxe stuff I can easily bolt on. I even have a set of 4 Cadillac train horns for it.

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity did you consider adding a 3rd brake / cargo light combo to sort of update the truck or are you just going for restoration (with the LED lights of course) . I have a 93 Cheyenne that has no cargo light and would sort of like to add one. I wonder if the wiring is present for one or do I need to run wires as well as drill the hole?
I'm going for the or look and would rather keep just the cargo light myself.

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score
I rewired and modded my cargo light so it is independent of the interior light circuit. I ran new wires from one of the aux 12v plugs beside the cig lighter, it always has power and is a convenient spot to grab power from. I got another oem cargo light switch, put it right above the oem switch and wired the illumination bulb so it came on when turned on instead of with the dash lights. I then ran these wires to the back and cut the old wires from the oem cargo light and soldered and shrink wrapped the connection to the oem sockets. Everything was perfect and then I blew 2 kinda expensive led bulbs. These oem sockets are different from all other 194 sockets.... they will work fine with a regular incandescent bulb but not with an led. Put a multimeter on it and check voltage, there are 4 terminals but the left 2 are connected and so are the right 2. A regular incandescent bulb has a bent over wire that contacts 1 side when the new leds are negative on the front and positive on the back and vise versa... if the led bulb is printed on a circuit board you can take a utility knife and scrape the copper off the board so it dosent short out. My replacement led bulbs were projector lenses and 2" long not realizing the differences in the 194 and the like bulbs.... so I drilled 2 holes in the lense and inserted the bulb into the socket from outside and siliconed the very small gap up. Bright as hell but I kept thinking about the oem cargo light wiring sitting in the roof.... well I grabbed a couple silicone embedded leds and soldered them on to the ends of the wires and stuck them back into the lense. Now I have independent cargo lights that are actually useful and oem cargo lights that function with the interior light circuit and comes on when I open the door.

And oh before I started this I took the lense in the house and cleaned it up real well with some hot water, dish soap and elbow grease.

Al

if you have a 88-94 interior where did you happen to find a new OEM cargo light switch? I’m hunting one online and haven’t found one yet