Should I add a 3rd brake light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
So my Cheyenne doesn't have a cargo light, and I plan on using in bed LED strip lights for that. I'm thinking about adding a 3rd brake light assembly from the parts Tahoe. Nice touch, or waste of time?
You must be registered for see images attach

Tahoe light. .
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Probably a good idea to have one, because that gives another brake light for people behind you to see. Be sure all the LEDs actually light up in your light assembly though. After 20 plus years some of the ones in my Burb are not very bright.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
No you have to replace the light as an assembly from what I've been told. The individual beans are not replaceable separately. Now there's probably some LED guru on here who knows differently.....
My inspection guy hasn't said anything about the light being semi functional to me, but I've noticed he's not super picky on older vehicles. I think their main concern in Texas is "does it pass smog tests". If you have pollution control systems codes, that's an automatic fail. Or a brake light on the dashboard....

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks for the link! I was told that they were more expensive than that one. If it's going to have problems, should do within the year warranty period. If the swap meet next week does well, may have to order one. Think my brother still has Prime....

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to the new ones!

454cid, I get that, but if you look closely at my crew cab there's already a hole in my roof for something. It's dead center and has some sort of plug painted white in it. My first thought was to mount one of my Amazon Nilight 20" triple row 420w LED light bars up there to "thank" the people behind me that drive around with their brights on, but I'm sure I'M the one who would get in trouble for that, so I'm thinking 3rd brake light instead.