Can't get the E Brake cable back into the brake shoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MSQREX

Reaction score
For the life of me, I cannot pull back the spring on the E Brake cable far enough to put the knob on the end of the cable into the brake shoe. Am I missing something here? Any way to loosen up the tension on this spring?

2000 C2500, 14 bolt SF

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had the same issue when I rebuilt My rear end about 3 months ago. I fought with it until I finally got it. Try cycling the EMG brake peddle a few times. Thats what help me.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot pull back the spring on the E Brake cable far enough to put the knob on the end of the cable into the brake shoe. Am I missing something here? Any way to loosen up the tension on this spring?

2000 C2500, 14 bolt SF
The cable doesn't go to the brake shoe.

The cable goes to the lever that attaches to the shoe.

The job is much harder when the cables are partially-seized so they don't release fully. Are your cables in good condition? Have a helper pull the park brake release handle. Pull on the cable-end with a vice-grip, try to gain some additional length. Then slide the spring back, hook the lever around the cable. With the lever attached to the cable, connect the lever to the brake shoe.

MSQREX

Reaction score
The cable doesn't go to the brake shoe.

The cable goes to the lever that attaches to the shoe.

The job is much harder when the cables are partially-seized so they don't release fully. Are your cables in good condition? Have a helper pull the park brake release handle. Pull on the cable-end with a vice-grip, try to gain some additional length. Then slide the spring back, hook the lever around the cable. With the lever attached to the cable, connect the lever to the brake shoe.

Yes, sorry I meant the lever going into the shoe.
I will try your advice tonight regarding holding the park brake release.
My cables are not in the greatest shape, the springs on them are a little rusted which is probably why I have been having trouble pulling them back.
I even bought the above tool, still had trouble.
I just need to get them back into the lever to pass inspection.