Can't find new front backing plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I understand the backing plates changed in 92, but other than that, what else changed? If it was ONLY the backing plates then the newer ones should work fine. If it was the backing plate and knuckle, then a pair of knuckles would fix your problem, which I happen to have. I don't see any reason for the rotors, calipers, or pads to be different for example. It's not like you'd have to throw out everything you have and buy it all over for a different year. I don't believe either one used slip on rotors so I see no reason for a unit bearing change either, especially for ones that wouldn't interchange.

Rockauto lists the same part numbers for 1990 and 1994. It's possible they updated the design while allowing the parts to interchange. It's also possible your dust shields aren't original.

The problem with returning everything is that I bought it all across the border. Shipping everything back from Canada is very expensive.

The design of the 1988-1991 backing plates is a three-bolt one. The later years are a two-bolt design. They are not interchangeable. I think I'm left with not using any backing plates.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
The problem with returning everything is that I bought it all across the border. Shipping everything back from Canada is very expensive.

No one said anything about having to ship everything back. It's been said multiple times that most of the stuff is likely the same.

The design of the 1988-1991 backing plates is a three-bolt one. The later years are a two-bolt design.

This has also been gone over multiple times. I understand that one is two hole, and one is three hole. Looking at both, the newer knuckles do not have provisions to mount the old backing plates, but the new backing plates bolt on with the unit bearing/hub assembly, which the older knuckle obviously has provisions for. (See picture) If your unit bearings are bolted on from the front of the knuckle, then I don't see any reason the newer backing plates shouldn't work in the new factory location. If this is so, it would explain why no one makes the older ones.

Older knuckle left, newer knuckle right. Older backing plate green, newer blue.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: