1999 14 bolt backing plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremy D

Reaction score
I need a set of backing plates for a GM 14 bolt rear axle out of a 99 suburban 2500 6.5 diesel, this axle has drum OVER hub and backing plate are almost impossible to find. does anyone either have a good set they would want to sell. OR know if i can get a complete disc brake kit from a truck that is 1 or 2 years newer and have it work on my axle?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHICH "14-bolt" axle is this?

First Guess: 10.5" ring gear, full-float, 13 X 3.5" brakes.

IF you swap to disc brakes, be sure that they're AT LEAST as powerful as what you have, which is not going to be easy.

Jeremy D

Reaction score
its a full float 10.5 with 13x3.5" brakes. would the brakes from an 01 or 02 with the same axle bolt on to mine?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Being a diesel, my money's on it being the 10.5, especially with the drums being so hard to find.

That was my initial thought too, but Suburbans usually have the drums on the back of the hub. Since he's confirmed it's the 10.5" it must be that the diesels get the 1-ton axle with jb8 brakes.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I think the back plates are NLA. I had them in my Amazon cart but they dont have them anymore. I have not checked with a dealer.

Jeremy D

Reaction score
unfortunately the backing plates have been discontinued by GM, anybody got a set they would sell? or can i get the disc brakes off of a truck with the same axle that is 1 or 2 years newer?

TSALI137

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unfortunately the backing plates have been discontinued by GM, anybody got a set they would sell? or can i get the disc brakes off of a truck with the same axle that is 1 or 2 years newer?
I'm late to this post but I have a set of 13in back plates and drums off a 98 k2500 8lug 9.5 14bolt. Just message me if still looking.