Can't find new front backing plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My GMT400 K1500 4X4 1/2 ton has the early design front disc brake backing plates. They've been discontinued by GM and don't seem to be available anywhere else.

These are the early 3-hole design, rather than the later 2-hole. I'm doing complete brakes and would like to change out my rusty backing plates. I think the GM part number is 15627243.

Where can I find these?

Thanks.

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you checked rock auto?

Thanks. I have. Checked just about everywhere you can imagine, and no one has them.

Apparently the 1988-89-90-91 K1500 trucks have a different front backing plate (dust shield) from the later years. I can't believe that no one is producing them; not even Dorman.

I guess I'll have to run without them.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Can you change spindles/knuckles? I think that change may actually get you slightly larger brakes, too.......of course at a price.

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you change spindles/knuckles? I think that change may actually get you slightly larger brakes, too.......of course at a price.

Thanks for the suggestion but I already have all new hubs, rotors, calipers and pads to install. When I took it apart to install the new stuff, I discovered that the backing plates (dust shields) didn't have much life left in them.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion but I already have all new hubs, rotors, calipers and pads to install. When I took it apart to install the new stuff, I discovered that the backing plates (dust shields) didn't have much life left in them.

Well some of those parts may be the same, like the hubs. Can you return or sell some of the parts that wouldn't work on newer knuckles?

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
No the design changed in 1992.

I understand the backing plates changed in 92, but other than that, what else changed? If it was ONLY the backing plates then the newer ones should work fine. If it was the backing plate and knuckle, then a pair of knuckles would fix your problem, which I happen to have. I don't see any reason for the rotors, calipers, or pads to be different for example. It's not like you'd have to throw out everything you have and buy it all over for a different year. I don't believe either one used slip on rotors so I see no reason for a unit bearing change either, especially for ones that wouldn't interchange.

Rockauto lists the same part numbers for 1990 and 1994. It's possible they updated the design while allowing the parts to interchange. It's also possible your dust shields aren't original.