Can't connect to OBDII

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW, the BAFX adapter mentioned doesn't like my '97s. I bought one after the cheap blue off-brand one I had in the glovebox of my Suburban died because I'd heard good reviews of the BAFX here. Unfortunately it wouldn't connect to either of my '97s, but worked fine on two newer GM vehicles. I sent it back for a refund and got another cheapie blue adapter that works fine.

Some of the cheap adapters don't work on all vehicles, and it seems like I've had the most problems on GM trucks.

This is absolutely true, though. No matter what brand or style of Bluetooth OBD2 adapter you buy, if it's less than $100 or so chances are you may have difficulties with some vehicles. I have no idea why this is the case, but it is. For example, I have two of the cheap ($12-14) blue plastic adapters now. One will connect to my Suburban with no issues but refuses to connect to my truck, and the other is the opposite. These are visually identical adapters purchased from the same seller on Amazon. These things are just picky.

The only Bluetooth OBD2 adapter that has worked on everything I've tried it on is my PLX Kiwi. They're pretty pricey though, the current base model (Kiwi3) is about $100.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Torque Pro for me, can't remember why I chose to pay over using the freebie as I did so very many years ago. It's cheap.. $6 I think, haven't looked in forever.

Weird on the 97's. I couldn't get the cheapie blue ones (had 2 different ones) wouldn't connect to my LS-swapped '97 Suburban, but I bought the BAFX and it would. Of course the PCM in it wasn't '97 anymore so that wouldn't be the same scenario as your trucks at all.

Richard

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Dash Command has the cheapest Trans temp gauge. Just buy the 1-time $10 upgrade and you have trans temp on anything that it supports...

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a BAFX, the iOS version. Probably try Dash Command.:Angry:

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somedays I am envious of the OBD2 guys. I suppose the TBI and OBD1 just work, though.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dash Command has the cheapest Trans temp gauge. Just buy the 1-time $10 upgrade and you have trans temp on anything that it supports...
So, for the In App purchase you mentioned, I don’t see anything for a 96.
You must be registered for see images attach