Can't connect to OBDII

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jdeckm

Reaction score
I recently got a Bluetooth scanner and I can't get it to connect to my 98 Tahoe's ECM. There's power to the scanner but it won't connect. Tested it on another car and it worked just fine. Below are the voltages I measured on the pins. Checked all fuses. Don't know what else to do.

2-0v
4-Gnd
5-Gnd
8-12v
9-3v
14-0v
16-12v

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I have an OBD Link MX+ and sometimes when I switch it from one vehicle to another I need to go into my device and cycle the Bluetooth off and on and re-enable the scanner Bluetooth connection before it connects. Sometimes I need to re-do this process if I even just shut down to fill up with gas. Let us know if you get it working or not.

PM18S4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a OBD Link MX+ and have the same issue as RichLo.

However, I initially bought one of those cheapo $20 ones off amazon. It worked fine for Toyota, Ford, Kia, MoPAR, but nothing from GM.

Jdeckm

Reaction score
I have an OBD Link MX+ and sometimes when I switch it from one vehicle to another I need to go into my device and cycle the Bluetooth off and on and re-enable the scanner Bluetooth connection before it connects. Sometimes I need to re-do this process if I even just shut down to fill up with gas. Let us know if you get it working or not.
Alrighty tried cycling and different apps even. Probably going to get Autozone or napa to see if they can get a real scanner to connect. I guess that will rule out the port.

Jdeckm

Reaction score
I have a OBD Link MX+ and have the same issue as RichLo.

However, I initially bought one of those cheapo $20 ones off amazon. It worked fine for Toyota, Ford, Kia, MoPAR, but nothing from GM.
Interesting I tried it on a honda and it worked fine. I got a GMC I'll try it out on.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Some of the cheap adapters don't work on all vehicles, and it seems like I've had the most problems on GM trucks. The one that has worked on all the GM trucks I've tried was the one from BAFX Products. It's about double the cost of the cheapos, but it's not like we're talking a lot of money here. :) Around $23 shipped.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. I've yet to find anything that my BAFX doesn't work on. I bought mine because it was recommended for having the best compatibility.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of the cheap adapters don't work on all vehicles, and it seems like I've had the most problems on GM trucks. The one that has worked on all the GM trucks I've tried was the one from BAFX Products. It's about double the cost of the cheapos, but it's not like we're talking a lot of money here. :) Around $23 shipped.

Richard
Yup. I've yet to find anything that my BAFX doesn't work on. I bought mine because it was recommended for having the best compatibility.
Any preferred app for the BAFX?