Canadian/Mexican Trucks in the USA?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Bit of a stupid question, but this is the help section after all...

I have a 1997 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 with the Vortec 5700. It was built in Oshawa, ON, Canada for the US Market

Anyways, something I've always wondered, but has never been asked on this forum is why are there Canadian built pickups and Mexican built SUVs here in the US? I've been surfing car-part.com and noticed that most trucks up in Canada are Canadian built, but a couple are US built. Canadian pickups (non imports) seem to be quite common here in the US and I know that 2 door Tahoes were built in Silao, Guanajuato, Mexico. Because we (in the US) have Fort Wayne, IN and Pontiac, MI that built pickups and Arlington, TX that built Tahoes/Yukons/Escalades/Suburbans and some pickups and Janesville, WI that also built Tahoes and Suburbans, what was the need to import pickups or SUVs here. Also why did US (non import) pickups end up in Canada?

Also, the main differences I've noticed with Canadian built non imported pickups vs Canadian built Canadian pickups is the MPH and KPH speedometer/odometer and the door jam sticker.

Here's my Canadian built non import sticker and speedometer/odometer:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a Canadian built Canadian pickup sticker and speedometer/odometer:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Good question! I know GM had a huge complex of plants in Silao, Mexico. Both my '99 Burbs were built there. GM Arlington used to build the fullsize cars; they beat out a plant in Michigan to get that job. Then in '96 when the B bodies were done, they switched over to SUVs.
I know labor costs are a lot lower down south, so if they can build them well there, GM will keep running those plants. From what I've heard, this complex has raw materials coming in one side and finished vehicles coming out the other side.
Kinda like Dodge kept touting the Challenger as an American muscle car....but they are built in Canada.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good question! I know GM had a huge complex of plants in Silao, Mexico. Both my '99 Burbs were built there. GM Arlington used to build the fullsize cars; they beat out a plant in Michigan to get that job. Then in '96 when the B bodies were done, they switched over to SUVs.
I know labor costs are a lot lower down south, so if they can build them well there, GM will keep running those plants. From what I've heard, this complex has raw materials coming in one side and finished vehicles coming out the other side.
Kinda like Dodge kept touting the Challenger as an American muscle car....but they are built in Canada.

Never thought about labor costs until you mentioned it! That honestly makes sense, but why have plants here then too? That's what I can't seem to figure out?

I didn't know Suburbans were made in Mexico too. Is yours an import or was it built for the US market? I know Canadians like to snag our less rusty US trucks up there for parts, but I rarely see a Canadian/Mexican truck here in the US. Being in MN, you'd think I'd see Canadian imported GMT400 trucks around here, but I don't at all.

Also makes sense that GM Arlington would switch to SUVs in '96. Mid size and full size SUVs were all the rage back then so may as well capitalize on the market if you can.

I agree I hate the "American" marketing the big 3 use on vehicles that aren't 100% made here. I love my truck, but the only thing I don't like about it is that is was made in Canada. Thankfully, there's plenty of GMT400 owners with Canadian (US and Canadian marketed) pickups with no build quality issues other than the ones that all these trucks suffer with. So I'm not worried there.

Strange to think that my truck is the first non American vehicle I've owned...

EDIT: While labor costs would be lower in Mexico, would the same be true in Canada? I wouldn't think so, but maybe? That's why I'm so surprised to see so many Canadian built pickups here in the USA.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Never thought about labor costs until you mentioned it! That honestly makes sense, but why have plants here then too? That's what I can't seem to figure out?

I didn't know Suburbans were made in Mexico too. Is yours an import or was it built for the US market? I know Canadians like to snag our less rusty US trucks up there for parts, but I rarely see a Canadian/Mexican truck here in the US. Being in MN, you'd think I'd see Canadian imported GMT400 trucks around here, but I don't at all.

Also makes sense that GM Arlington would switch to SUVs in '96. Mid size and full size SUVs were all the rage back then so may as well capitalize on the market if you can.

I agree I hate the "American" marketing the big 3 use on vehicles that aren't 100% made here. I love my truck, but the only thing I don't like about it is that is was made in Canada. Thankfully, there's plenty of GMT400 owners with Canadian (US and Canadian marketed) pickups with no build quality issues other than the ones that all these trucks suffer with. So I'm not worried there.

Strange to think that my truck is the first non American vehicle I've owned...
They're both US market. Bought both used so don't know where they were sold originally.
My crew cab one ton was built in Flint, Michigan, but has been a Texas truck all its life. Originally bought in Houston, original owner had property in San Antonio area and it was there most of the time. After he passed, the truck got little use, so it still has just under 130,000 on it!

Just Nobody

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1997 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 with the Vortec 5700. It was built in Oshawa, ON, Canada for the US Market

Anyways, something I've always wondered, but has never been asked on this forum is why are there Canadian built pickups and Mexican built SUVs here in the US? I've been surfing car-part.com and noticed that most trucks up in Canada are Canadian built, but a couple are US built. Canadian pickups (non imports) seem to be quite common here in the US and I know that 2 door Tahoes were built in Silao, Guanajuato, Mexico. Because we (in the US) have Fort Wayne, IN and Pontiac, MI that built pickups and Arlington, TX that built Tahoes/Yukons/Escalades/Suburbans and some pickups and Janesville, WI that also built Tahoes and Suburbans, what was the need to import pickups or SUVs here. Also why did US (non import) pickups end up in Canada?

Also, the main differences I've noticed with Canadian built non imported pickups vs Canadian built Canadian pickups is the MPH and KPH speedometer/odometer and the door jam sticker.

They make 30% + on just the dollar exchange alone.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

The gauge system of the 98 looks unique not cause the mph or kmh. But the fuel level dosent have a f or and e the dash lights are almost updated the check engine light is shaped like n engine and not the service engine soon. Thats unique to me. Im 16 so i havent seen em all but i never seen one like that.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The gauge system of the 98 looks unique not cause the mph or kmh. But the fuel level dosent have a f or and e the dash lights are almost updated the check engine light is shaped like n engine and not the service engine soon. Thats unique to me. Im 16 so i havent seen em all but i never seen one like that.

Didn't even notice that until you mentioned it to me.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They're both US market. Bought both used so don't know where they were sold originally.
My crew cab one ton was built in Flint, Michigan, but has been a Texas truck all its life. Originally bought in Houston, original owner had property in San Antonio area and it was there most of the time. After he passed, the truck got little use, so it still has just under 130,000 on it!

If you ever wanted to know where your Suburbans were sold, you could get a CarFax report. 5/$100 but it's worth it for peace of mind if you want.

I figured the Crew Cab was US built. I briefly looked into buying a 3/4 ton pickup and all the VIN numbers said they were US made. Congrats on the find! Did you get it out of an estate sale? Most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks rarely have such few miles. Even now a 130K 1/2 ton is rare. I just got a 14 bolt sf rear axle installed in my truck with 183K on the donor truck and I thought that was low mileage compared to my 240K truck.