Can a bad turn signaling switch cause an ECM, IGNITION switch to blow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goetso

Reaction score
Hey all,

A few weeks ago I posted about my truck blowing the ECM, IGNITION fuse. Quick follow up on the situation; I could drive it for what seemed like about 5 mins, then the fuse would blow. It was prety consistant with the duration of time needed to make the fuse pop.

Anyway, got to looking at under the dash wiring, and noticed a wire that was definatly getting hot, and melting a bit. Not sure if it was a good idea on my part, but I removed the entire dash to get a better look at all the interior wiring. After removing all the affected wire harness tape, I found a white wire (see photo) coming from the "turn signal switch" located under the steering wheel (The yellowish, round device under the steering wheel that has its wires running thru the steering colum and has a white, thin and rather wide male connector that goes to a back female connector.

This white wire has been taped by somebody in the past where there is a spot on it where about a third or half of the wire strands are broke.
According to diagrams on the fuse block, the ECM, IGN fuse also is "shunted with the top 2 fuse above it which would be the TURN B/U, and the GAGES fuses.
Could this white wire affect the ECM, IGNITION fuse?

Sorry for all the rambling!

You must be registered for see images attach

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
that white wire should be the brake switch wire, that is the one you tap into for electric trailer brakes and no that should have no effect on the ecm fuse