Camper Shell Compatability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HopHead357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been looking for a few month now for a camper shell for my truck. I finally found one locally, but in the seller's words, "...came off 2007 chevy short bed fits 2004- 2007. 63x81 1/2"

Does anyone know or have any experience fitting a camper shell from a new chevy/gmc on their GMT400?

I have a 1998 ECSB I'm trying to fit it on.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put the topper off my dad's 03 GMC 2500HD onto my truck and it fit, it overhung by a half inch on both sides and I can to push it up to almost the cab for the tailgate to be able to close.
You can see the difference in width between the back of the cab and front of the shell here;
You must be registered for see images attach

And you can sort of see the overhang on the side here,

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
I've been looking for a few month now for a camper shell for my truck. I finally found one locally, but in the seller's words, "...came off 2007 chevy short bed fits 2004- 2007. 63x81 1/2"

Does anyone know or have any experience fitting a camper shell from a new chevy/gmc on their GMT400?

I have a 1998 ECSB I'm trying to fit it on.

Wondered this myself. Anyone know of other trucks or models that are a direct swap?

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
I put the topper off my dad's 03 GMC 2500HD onto my truck and it fit, it overhung by a half inch on both sides and I can to push it up to almost the cab for the tailgate to be able to close.
You can see the difference in width between the back of the cab and front of the shell here;

And you can sort of see the overhang on the side here,

Would you recommend the fitment? Any issues sealing/being water tight? Any rubbing on the cab?

You must like it enough to have color matched it I guess

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would you recommend the fitment? Any issues sealing/being water tight? Any rubbing on the cab?

You must like it enough to have color matched it I guess

The topper was actually already that color when he bought it, that's the main reason I threw it on for ***** and giggles. And it matched PERFECT, so it kinda blows it got repainted.
Fitment is definitely middle of the road, it'd work but you'd have to get something to seal up the gaps and you'd have to try and balance it just right so it wouldn't overhang too bad on either side.

I actually wound up finding a shell made specifically for an 88-98 pickup, I figured it would've been easier than trying to rig up a shell that wouldn't fit proper.

HopHead357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually wound up finding a shell made specifically for an 88-98 pickup, I figured it would've been easier than trying to rig up a shell that wouldn't fit proper.

This is what I need to do, however, it's easier said than done. I've seen two. One was $900 and the other was $200 and complete junk. Been looking for moths.