Cam to crank sensor correlation fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
Let me pick your brain about the only issue I’m having now, I haven’t checked anything or replaced any parts just yet. If I go out first thing and crank it up she turns over good and fires right up. If I drive it for a little bit and it warms up if I turn it off and try to crank it again it’s really sluggish at turning over. I have to hold on the key for a few seconds then it’ll finally fire up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be the starter getting hot, I think it is more common on the larger direct drive ones than the smaller gear reduction.

It wouldn’t hurt to check the battery cables, either. See what the voltage drop is across the cable from battery to starter.

Or a flaky coolant temperature (ECT) sensor by the thermostat. Use the scanner app to see what it is reporting the next time it does it. It should be at ambient when cold or around the thermostat setpoint when warmed up. If it’s an oddball number, it could be fooling the VCM into calling for too much fuel, flooding the engine. A workaround is to hold the gas to the floor while cranking. This puts it into ‘clear flood’ mode, temporarily stopping injector flow.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
Well it doesn’t seem like it’s not getting fuel. It sounds more like the starters getting warm and having trouble turning over. The temperature reads fine on the app, do you think I should start with the starter ?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I edited my post to add that it wouldn’t hurt to look at the battery cables. Compare the voltage across the positive/negative at the battery to the voltage from the positive cable at the starter to a ground. It should be nearly the same, if there is more than (say) 0.5V difference then the cable or connection is suspect.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
I edited my post to add that it wouldn’t hurt to look at the battery cables. Compare the voltage across the positive/negative at the battery to the voltage from the positive cable at the starter to a ground. It should be nearly the same, if there is more than (say) 0.5V difference then the cable or connection is suspect.

Alright I’ll start with that then.