C2500 steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHERE do you have play?

The bolts holding the tilt steering column together provide play in the steering wheel, (the wheel flops around up and down, side-to-side) pretty much everything else would provide play only when turning the wheel.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Tightening the bolts to resolve a sloppy "tilt" steering column is VERY common, and VERY worthwhile.

It's a PITA, though.
I'd call it more than worthwhile; if they're loose, they'll just get worse until the column almost literally comes apart. Several functions of the column get progressively worse as the tilt knuckle bolts loosen up. Steering, shifting, operation of the ignition tumbler..

Richard

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm don't know where all my play is coming from. I just did the rag joint, haven't even driven it yet! The plastic "bearing" has play, I'll do it next. My mechanic buddy said the parts from pump down feel fine, not new, but fine
Most definitely worth the effort. If you can grab the steering wheel and move it side to side and up and down, those four bolts are most likely loose. Also my shift lever movement was sloppy feeling as the collar around the column was loose as a result of those four loose bolts. Mine's tight as new again.
I am surprised mine was loose with the low mileage and condition of my truck, but it was.
I suggest taking pics as you disassemble. ;)