brake pressure help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
whats up guys i took the tahoe to the bodyshop got my rollpan put on and leaving i noticed the brake light on and no brake pressure so i popped the hood looked in low on brake fluid put some in and still no pressure so i drove it home and looked under and it was brake fluid all over the passenger rear tire so i got new parts from the auto store new wheel cylinders,spring kit,and shoes and master cylinder changed all even did the front pads bled brakes with tahoe turned off so i started her back up still no pressure im stumped need help thanks

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my best guess with out looking at it, next to the spare tire, just before hte hard line changes to the rubber flex line, the hard line bends about 120* about an inch from the bracket, these trucks are notorious for line breaks at this point due to age, rust, and slight vibration.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh and after servicing the wheel cyl. you need to bleed the brakes staring with the pass. side rear, drivers side rear, pass side front then the drivers side front.

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd say you've still got air in the system. Is the light on?

yea its still on i was gonna change the brake booster next because its getting no pressure and none of the lines in the rear are leaking and i bled brakes in that order 10 times a piece

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
possible you have air in the abs unit. ive never had to do it but have heard some have a bleeder on them. something to chack anyway.

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
update changed brake booster and master and bled brakes so far so good no light on now brake light switch took a dive on me tho

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
These trucks have had probs when it comes to getting the air outa the ABS unit.
I've heard of some guys here using a vacuum type bleeder. Some systems are stupid expensive, but there are some older threads that explains how to do this on the cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=350717213038
You could try this...http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html
Someone with some experience with this will have to chime in, as I've never done this.

Also, you may want to check the adjustment on the rear brakes. Poorly adjusted rear brakes can cause a low or spongy pedal feel. The self-adjusters on these trucks have been known not to work as they should. Neither of my truck's do. And, GM, in their infinite wisdom, decided that the adjustment windows on the backing plates were not required on these trucks. So...gotta pull the drums & adjust 'em by hand. I'll do 5 or 6 'clicks' on the wheel then test the drum for clearance. Just wanna hear them barely scrapping. I like mine a little tighter, 'cause that gives a better, more solid pedal feel, but it does wear the brakes out a bit sooner.
Don't go too tight, though. That'll create big heat, which can kill seals &/or bearings in the rear end. (How do I know THAT? Doh! Muy expensive lesson! Lol!)

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These trucks have had probs when it comes to getting the air outa the ABS unit.
I've heard of some guys here using a vacuum type bleeder. Some systems are stupid expensive, but there are some older threads that explains how to do this on the cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=350717213038
You could try this...http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html
Someone with some experience with this will have to chime in, as I've never done this.

Also, you may want to check the adjustment on the rear brakes. Poorly adjusted rear brakes can cause a low or spongy pedal feel. The self-adjusters on these trucks have been known not to work as they should. Neither of my truck's do. And, GM, in their infinite wisdom, decided that the adjustment windows on the backing plates were not required on these trucks. So...gotta pull the drums & adjust 'em by hand. I'll do 5 or 6 'clicks' on the wheel then test the drum for clearance. Just wanna hear them barely scrapping. I like mine a little tighter, 'cause that gives a better, more solid pedal feel, but it does wear the brakes out a bit sooner.
Don't go too tight, though. That'll create big heat, which can kill seals &/or bearings in the rear end. (How do I know THAT? Doh! Muy expensive lesson! Lol!)

thanks for the advice

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
adjusted brakes got the system bleed brake pedal still keeps dropping have to pump them to get a firm brake pedal