Brake Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arctic Fox

Reaction score
I have a problem along the same lines as this. My 91 C2500 has a new master cylinder which was bench bled, and all the brakes have been bled. The brake light is still on the dash, and the pedal is a little soft, but the brakes seem to work good. What recommendations do you have for 1.firming up the pedal and 2. turning off the light on the dash?

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I usually just bench bleed the master if i am changing it and install it. then hold the pedal down and crack the tube fittings at the master and tighten it, then go let up the pedal. Always worked for me..

I did the above a few days ago. Haven't driven it yet but will later on today. I'll report back my findings later today.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I did the above a few days ago. Haven't driven it yet but will later on today. I'll report back my findings later today.

If you did that and still feel there is air in the line then the next step would be a normal bleed at the wheels to be sure you got all air out. In my experience though, the brakes on these truck are pretty darn mushy even with new/ upgrade master cyclinder/ all the things people do. doesn't go to floor but initial step on the pedal is far to engage.

I have two other modern vehicle that i drive regularly and every time I drive the truck, I swear the power steering is out, the steering links are loose, and there's no brakes. : )

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you did that and still feel there is air in the line then the next step would be a normal bleed at the wheels to be sure you got all air out. In my experience though, the brakes on these truck are pretty darn mushy even with new/ upgrade master cyclinder/ all the things people do. doesn't go to floor but initial step on the pedal is far to engage.

I can't discount that more bleeding is needed on mine (though all four corners have just been done). But, it isn't merely a problem of a mushy feel due to air but that the pedal falls away. Only when the truck is stationary - there's plenty braking to get it stopped but once stopped the pedal sinks. This despite it being on its second new master cylinder (and new front hoses).

I have two other modern vehicle that i drive regularly and every time I drive the truck, I swear the power steering is out, the steering links are loose, and there's no brakes. : )

I get that the Hydroboost makes the brakes feel different to other cars etc. My smart though would also occasionally exhibit what I've described my truck's brakes as doing when stationary. Torn as to whether this is just a 'feature' - but more pronounced on my Suburban than smart or a genuine problem. The smart never failed to stop either.