Brake issue, not a gmt400 but is a GM product

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redblazerx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, my mom wrecked her saturn SL last week. I reapired it by replacing the subframe and right suspension the test drove it and all was good. She calls me this morning and tells me that the brake pedal went to the floor. So, today I replace front calipers and rear wheel cylinders and put new rotors on the front, bled the brakes and still getting the same problem with the pedal going to the floor. It has a strong pedal with the car OFF but when you crank it up the pedal goes to the floor.

None of the braking system was taken loose during the repairs, I did think that maybe the accident bent the caliper piston so I replaced them both.

Any ideas? I started it up before I left there house to let it build vaccum in the booster and im going to check in the morning to see if the pressure held. I dont know where to go with this..........Any Ideas???

redblazerx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like there is still air in the lines or a line is leaking. Possibly bad master cylinder.

I was thinking about air still in the system too but I bled them like three times. started at the furthest from the master cylinder. I dont see any leaks anywhere, im going to clean all the fittings and get someone to press the pedal and watch all the fittings to make sure there are no leaking banjo bolts.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
carefully clamp all the rubber hoses with a vice grips(not super tight as can damage hose) the petal should then be rock hard, if not then its the master or a blown steel line, if it is hard then take one off at a time and check petal travel to pinpoint where the issue is, the one with the issue tends to travel just a little further (ie drivers caliper vs pass caliper, calipers should go further than wheel cylinders) or if really bad goes considerably further.

rear drums out of adjustment will cause a low petal too, make sure they are adjusted so there is a slight drag on them