body lift with a goose neck plate in the bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I was wondering if I do a body lift on my truck am I go a have to remove the hitch or is there a way to keep it bolted in without causing a safety concern ..... most I plan to ever pull with it is maybe a 20ft with a truck on it but that would probably happen once in a blue moon

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I'm assuming your hitch is fame mounted? (I have seen ones just in the bed sheetmetal? If so you're just going to have to cut a bigger hole in the bed floor

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
What type of hitch do you have? A plate type or turnover ball type?
I've only installed a gooseneck on one truck with a body lift, it was a B&W turnover. I refused to modify the hitch itself for liability reasons nor would I carry the warranty if he modified it afterwards. He ended up cutting about a 6" square around the hitch in the bed so the neck of the trailer could actually sit down in the bed a bit and properly sit on the hitch. Honestly I thought it looked like crap, but I feel this is the safest option as you are keeping the hitch in it's designed location.

Your other option is if you or someone you could take it to is very comfortable in fabricating & welding. You could always more or less make yourself new rails across the frame with steel tubing to accommodate the height difference with the body lift... But honestly out of the hundreds of 5th wheels and goosenecks I've worked on I have rarely seen any home brew work that doesn't make me uncomfortable when I see it.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If its bolted to the frame, leave it bolted to the frame but youll have to cut that big ass rectangle out of the bed. You do NOT want spacers of any kind to raise the gooseneck hitch. Theres already plenty of strain on it.

Shorty01GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an old farm truck with gooseneck plate in bed.. put a body lift on it, welded some channel above the frame, extra bracing, and it was stronger than when it was stock...