Blowing New Wheel Cylinders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOB THORNTON

Reaction score
97 K1500 . Have replaced everything in the rear and has a new master cylinder. Also replaced one backing plate hoping that was the issue with a piece that was broken off and not seating the shoes right. Sitting at work with both rears blown now. Ideas?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
97 K1500 . Have replaced everything in the rear and has a new master cylinder. Also replaced one backing plate hoping that was the issue with a piece that was broken off and not seating the shoes right. Sitting at work with both rears blown now. Ideas?

Over sized drums ,shoes not adjusted correctly, incorrect hardware?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fluid contamination? If oil gets mixed with brake fluid it causes the seals to swell and rupture.

Oversized drums sounds like a contender.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Fluid contamination? If oil gets mixed with brake fluid it causes the seals to swell and rupture.

Oversized drums sounds like a contender.

Plain brake fluid swells seals too. You saying mixing it with oil takes it to the next level? Or just that it would eat the seals?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just remember a fellow technician working on a customer's 300ZX. The customer serviced the master cylinder with hydraulic fluid. The entire brake system had to be changed out because it leaked fluid from everywhere. Needless to say the ABS got ditched instead of spending another two grand on it.

BOB THORNTON

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. After all the bs it turns out guys at work were messing with me cause of the hassle it was to get it fixed the last time. Its all fixed and working fine. Good prank ill admit but damn i was about to freak out.