Best way to take apart Gauge cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As some may know I bought a Needle gauge style cluster for the 91 chevy pickup. That thread can be seen here: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?30972-My-purchase&p=847139#post847139

My scenario:

1. I need to either swap odometer from my existing moonie cluster or
2. roll back this cluster to readout the same as the moonie cluster. (for paperwork reasons)

3. I want to install White (5000K) leds that will show up great on this cluster.
This cluster doesn't seem to use twist caps like the 92-94 clusters do.

4. Does anyome recommend removing the yellow paint from the needles for the white to show or would it not make a difference?

A good detailed writeup on how to carefully disassemble a needle cluster would be great.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
tearing apart the odometer is a huge pita! There are very small gears, on one side of the white gear there are "a bunch of teeth" and on the other, there is a miniature gear with only a few. Also, there are blue ones mixed in the mess and metal "locks" which make lining up the number you want and putting it back together to read and work correctly very time consuming..i know I rebuilt mine to read 0000000. From what I have read, the original mileage and date is supposed to be written on the door next to the door latch in the event of swapping out to a "new" cluster. Not sure if that's true or not but anyway, the odometer DOES come out. Not sure if they are interchangeable but I believe you can unscrew the hold downs for one and put the other one in.....

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"IF" they are the same as a 94 then they are easy as pie.... I've probably done 10-15 of them know.... if you are mechanically minded it's easy to see how it all works whilst you look at if before disassembly...

sent from what use to be a great nation...

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if they are the same then he could just take the one out and put the other in?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^^that is true to.....if they are the same style...only one way to find out..

sent from what use to be a great nation...