BB tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schwarze_crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I am looking at getting my rig tuned. I see they offer a tune for 240 or a custom tune that reads your truck for 330. While I'm not against spending the extra money, is it worth it? I am going to have it optimized for 91 octane fuel and see if the can minimize the convertor unlocking. Thanks

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You always get a better calibration if theres an ability to see feedback from the vehicle.

Now, is it going to be worth 100 bucks more?

You're talking a bit smoother running, a bit better mpg and maybe another 5-20 hp.

You have to decide if that's worth it to you.

If I had a cam in the truck, I would definitely pay the extra hundred for a calibration made from a datalog vice "tune in a can". If I was otherwise stock, not-so-much.

If you're getting some odd TCC lockup behavior, it might be worth it to datalog. Hard to say if they can fix it.

If money was not a factor, I'd do the datalog option.

Just my .02

schwarze_crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not abnormal lockup behavior. Its just it is rather hilly in my area so I run into it unlocking going down hill then locking back up halfway up the next hill. With a trailer in tow that gets to be a bit annoying after a while. I think I might spend the extra, because I believe they have free retunes and I may do more mods to the motor in the future.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Its not abnormal lockup behavior. Its just it is rather hilly in my area so I run into it unlocking going down hill then locking back up halfway up the next hill. With a trailer in tow that gets to be a bit annoying after a while. I think I might spend the extra, because I believe they have free retunes and I may do more mods to the motor in the future.

Probably worth your while to call them first and describe what your lockup is doing and how you would like it to behave as well as how you are using it.

I cater my calibrations to terrain and usage as much as the vehicle itself.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's how my 03 shifts on hills, pretty annoying. Reving an extra 500 rpm can't be good for mpg either. Fully locked over 60mph (load pending of course) would be good imo.

The autocal tune option is pretty easy and yes they have free retunes for future mods. My cousin has tweaked his over 10 times.

Sent from my XT1050 using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
That's how my 03 shifts on hills, pretty annoying. Reving an extra 500 rpm can't be good for mpg either. Fully locked over 60mph (load pending of course) would be good imo.

The autocal tune option is pretty easy and yes they have free retunes for future mods. My cousin has tweaked his over 10 times.

Can't speak for your 03 (or post 2000 for that matter), but the earlier trucks are an "on/off" scheme. There is no partially locked.

The stock 6.5 calibration locks at 52 mph and unlocks at 50 mph.

It will also unlock with brake application and transmission shifting either up or down.

Throttle effects it also. It part of the abuse management scheme.

If it slips while applied, it codes. Trust me, I know it does and it doesn't take much.....:rolleyes:

Haven't messed with a gasser tune in a long time, but IIRC they throw in a % tps factor in addition to the MPH and gear postions.

Basically, TCC apply/release = %tps vs gear vs mph.

Last edited:

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Either way the unlocked converter creates heat extra noise extra speed up/slow down feel. Our 03 is the family trip vehicle so ride comfort and mpg is somewhat important.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
03 trans tuning behaves a lot like pre 00. Mine can lock as soon as 52mph but it is hard to maintain. Its either on or off.

6.5l tuning feels like a different trans.

schwarze_crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't speak for your 03 (or post 2000 for that matter), but the earlier trucks are an "on/off" scheme. There is no partially locked.

The stock 6.5 calibration locks at 52 mph and unlocks at 50 mph.

It will also unlock with brake application and transmission shifting either up or down.

Throttle effects it also. It part of the abuse management scheme.

If it slips while applied, it codes. Trust me, I know it does and it doesn't take much.....:rolleyes:

Haven't messed with a gasser tune in a long time, but IIRC they throw in a % tps factor in addition to the MPH and gear postions.

Basically, TCC apply/release = %tps vs gear vs mph.

I believe anything over 80% or under 20% unlocks the convertor