Base Timing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgmbald1

Reaction score
I purchased a L98 TPI motor and 700r4 trans out of a 92 Z28 about a year ago and decided to do my first V6/V8 swap. I decided not to run it as TPI for now so I converted it to TBI. Got everything out and everything in without issues.

You must be registered for see images attach

I did my initial base timing at 6 degrees because that is what a TPI L98 is set at. The motor runs OK but the more I think about it the more I wonder if that is correct or should I be setting the base timing to 0 as if it is a truck motor. My truck is a 1988 and I swapped the V6 PROM out with my 1988 C1500 V8 PROM. I am running mid length headers and a full dual exhaust.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was taught by my grandpa and he never used a timing light which just his ear and a butt dyno

sgmbald1

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'll play around with it and see where It runs the best...

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is an Initial Timing Advance setting in the PROM that is supposed to account for any advance manually added by adjusting the distributor position. This is normally set at 0 degrees, which is where setting the base timing to 0 with the brown wire disconnected comes from. Without that compensation, if the ECM is wanting 20 degrees of advance, it is really at 26 degrees, etc. It may run ok, but what the ECM is trying to set the timing at and what the actual advance is won't match.