Back again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Waylon Stroud

Reaction score
My 98 Chevy Tahoe 350 vortec threw a code for the injectors I being stupid went to the salvage yard and picked up a spider system well got them in decided I would reuse the intake manifold gasket got it all put back together and it is running like crap rough idle and when I press the throttle it stumbles and shakes and acts like it’s going to die. Is smoking white but not very much at all. When I took the intake manifold off I accidentally got coolant in the intake well I got as much out as I could then check oil I saw no water on dip stick so I fired it up. Let it run for a minute checked out and saw a little water so I drained the oil refilled then flushed again I see no water in oil and coolant is clean. Now it’s hissing from the intake somewhere. And I can see coolant dripping down transmission bell housing but can’t find the leak. I think I read somewhere that adamaged gasket could cause this? Oh pulled intake back off and there is coolant not a lot but it’s in the valley did I just blow my engine are is there ho

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any time you pull an intake need to repace the gaskets. Put a 1/4" thick line of gasket maker on the ends of the block.
That^

How long did you let it run like that? Chances are you just need to replace the gasket, but if you let it run like that for a while you may have a cracked block. Pull the intake, and clean the old gasket off entirely. Once you're down to bare metal check the mating surfaces for any imperfections. You're probably fine if you didn't run it like that very long, these blocks are extremely strong, but that doesn't mean they're indestructible.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Blocks are good but heads are known to crack...but anything can happen lol

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Blocks are good but heads are known to crack...but anything can happen lol
True, may be a good idea to pull the heads, inspect, and replace gaskets there too. I think it's a bit overkill, but in all honesty, if it was my truck on the line, I'd probably do it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn’t it a good idea to NOT reuse gaskets?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you were close I’d give you new intake gaskets I got for mine...cheap enough to buy, and not someplace where you skimp out....